Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Z620 v2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone, 

as pervious post i found many posts about memory stuff, Brian table comapre cpu & memory setup's and bambi/sdh explain few things about it, also some other guys.

but still can't find specific response to few questions.
- most say 32G stick is supported by z620v2 but with a drop in performance, i'm now using 4x8G on each board in total 64G, going to 16G per stick will generate a drop in (latency/frequency) or not ?
- is DDR3L supported by Z620, (if yes) any advantage beside consumption ?

- found in some forums : 14900(1866mhz) is shown as 14200(889mhz) in cpu-z, is there any specific case where it shown with that frequency or just miscalculation from cpu-z ?

- ECC Unbuffered & ECC Registered any recommendation ? is (R for more stability, U for more performance) ?

any suggestion about EU sellers ?

thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

those are hard question and are covered mostly like this.  (MMC and BIOS RULES) MMC is inside the Xenon.

4-channel per processor 1066/1333/1600/1866 MHz DDR3 memory* subsystem

reading forums endless all that gets you is a pack of lies and 1/2 truths.  the rules are pure logic, not some web posters opinion, most of those posters never once read the MMC chapter at intel,  thus rule#5 below (#)

I'm ex intel employee,,

1. intel told you only use matched sets, in CPU data sheet, even states matched SKU (stock number units) P/n to us geeks.
  2. Then the PC has rules,  both mobo band width rules and CPU clock speeds (and voltage)
  3. the BIOS must like what it sees on all those SPD chips on DDR3 and will run at the slowest one,, upgrade BIOS? yet.>?
  4. The other arcane rules most do not know (yah) is DENSITY rules, DDR3 ran for vast years and is the problem as the G.moore laws evolved to higher density using  new DDR3 on old PCs they like too fail. (all techs  know this) and can fail too for too few , DRAM chips and too many ranks on stick and more. for sure if the MMC does not like it it will fail;.
  5. NO OEM on earth tests all DDR3 made not one for sure all years made DDR3 and all PCs that use it. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN , and with this fact you just learned to buy CERTIFIED DDR3 only (means actually tested on YOUR PC) from the likes of Kingston or corsair.com ... ETC.
  6. low voltage well they do use  less power but are for faster bus speeds ,most or all new DRAM all do BOTH. the MMC here is not told what Ennnnn CPU TOLD ..... So I will guess E5-2600 v2 product family .... and read the data sheet to you , ok>? did you know most DDR now omit the letter mark -L,  because it is assumed all PCs now can do that, legacy by GONE. page 152 xeon vol.1,  states "the voltage rail VCCD which will be set to 1.50 V or 1.35 V nominal depending on the voltage of all DIMMs connected to the processor."
  7. Now you  know how the MMC works then... , what matters only is that the BIOS LIKES YOUR SPD. on the DDR stick the SPD is the  BIOS scanned chip that tells BIOS what sticks you have stuffed in and if mixed up (SKU) can be your PCs undoing. don't fool the MCC  rules one and two hope the BIOS likes the stick.  mixing old DDR3(HV) with new DDR3L (LV) sticks that will fail. but again matched sets rule.
  8. I guess (dont know) but the matched sets on CPU A , need not be same as CPU B,  bios willing, sure.
  9. I can go deeper and show the rules stated in the data sheet on XEON MMC, (lots the are and for density )  MMC = memory management controller (or by other names)
NO warranty answers by me.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

those are hard question and are covered mostly like this.  (MMC and BIOS RULES) MMC is inside the Xenon.

4-channel per processor 1066/1333/1600/1866 MHz DDR3 memory* subsystem

reading forums endless all that gets you is a pack of lies and 1/2 truths.  the rules are pure logic, not some web posters opinion, most of those posters never once read the MMC chapter at intel,  thus rule#5 below (#)

I'm ex intel employee,,

1. intel told you only use matched sets, in CPU data sheet, even states matched SKU (stock number units) P/n to us geeks.
  2. Then the PC has rules,  both mobo band width rules and CPU clock speeds (and voltage)
  3. the BIOS must like what it sees on all those SPD chips on DDR3 and will run at the slowest one,, upgrade BIOS? yet.>?
  4. The other arcane rules most do not know (yah) is DENSITY rules, DDR3 ran for vast years and is the problem as the G.moore laws evolved to higher density using  new DDR3 on old PCs they like too fail. (all techs  know this) and can fail too for too few , DRAM chips and too many ranks on stick and more. for sure if the MMC does not like it it will fail;.
  5. NO OEM on earth tests all DDR3 made not one for sure all years made DDR3 and all PCs that use it. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN , and with this fact you just learned to buy CERTIFIED DDR3 only (means actually tested on YOUR PC) from the likes of Kingston or corsair.com ... ETC.
  6. low voltage well they do use  less power but are for faster bus speeds ,most or all new DRAM all do BOTH. the MMC here is not told what Ennnnn CPU TOLD ..... So I will guess E5-2600 v2 product family .... and read the data sheet to you , ok>? did you know most DDR now omit the letter mark -L,  because it is assumed all PCs now can do that, legacy by GONE. page 152 xeon vol.1,  states "the voltage rail VCCD which will be set to 1.50 V or 1.35 V nominal depending on the voltage of all DIMMs connected to the processor."
  7. Now you  know how the MMC works then... , what matters only is that the BIOS LIKES YOUR SPD. on the DDR stick the SPD is the  BIOS scanned chip that tells BIOS what sticks you have stuffed in and if mixed up (SKU) can be your PCs undoing. don't fool the MCC  rules one and two hope the BIOS likes the stick.  mixing old DDR3(HV) with new DDR3L (LV) sticks that will fail. but again matched sets rule.
  8. I guess (dont know) but the matched sets on CPU A , need not be same as CPU B,  bios willing, sure.
  9. I can go deeper and show the rules stated in the data sheet on XEON MMC, (lots the are and for density )  MMC = memory management controller (or by other names)
HP Recommended

DDR3L

ok both run, here.

but if you unwisely mix DDR3H (old old old) with DDR3L,  if super lucky (id do not think  so)

BIOS scans the SPD and sees this wild mix(VOLTAGE) then tells MMC (yes they do work as a a team)

to go to Low voltage mode (possible)#1

of some stick are DDR3H (old) the PC fails. see why? legacy old old DDR3H will not run at low voltage (old DRAM !!!!).

so the BIOS if smart (may not be) goes to High voltage mode,  and most all DDL3 are dual voltage and runs. (can work)

but ONLY YOU GET TO FIND THAT OUT. it is not in any BIOS spec.

or the pre POST firmware sees this horror and HALTS and beeps like mad.   wrong DDR3 mix.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.