Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP z620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi! Hope you all doing fine. 

I have an HP Z620 Workstation from 2012 and I am using it mainly for video editing in Adobe Premiere and After effects. 

I've already upgraded RAM, SSD and Video memory (with the help of thу precious community for which I'm still very grateful), and looks like I've now reached to the point when I have to decide, whether it's worth trying to upgrade it further, or should I just buy the new one.

Honestly speaking, I don't want to change it, as it's still a Ferrari in the computer world in comparison to other brands. 

That's the reason I am asking for your advice on how to get more out of it?  

The current configuration is: 

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1620
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti  4GB
RAM: Hynix 24GB (4x2GB + 4*4GB)  1600Mhz

Chipset: Intel C602 

System is currently running on the SATA III SSD drive, and I've just ordered the M2 drive as an upgrade. 

And the questions are: 

- can I get a faster (better for my needs) processor from the list of supported  by the chipset? 

- can I use a dual CPU mode and would it really help to achieve better results ? 

- shall I replace my 4x2GB ram with 4x4GB to get 32Gb total power ? Well, question might look stupid, but I am not sure that will really make the difference due to the limitations of the processor power. 

- as for the video card, I understood the higher end Nvidia solutions will not work at their full power due to the processor limitations. Is that true? 

- is there an option to replace the chipset in order to get support of the more current processors? 

Any advice and idea is truly welcomed! Wish you nice weekend. 

Denis 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

upgrading from your current parts to the fastest ones compatible may not be worthwhile as the cost of the parts may not produce a major speed increase for what your using the system for

not all plugins for video editing in Adobe Premiere and After effects are multi core aware, so check if the ones you use are as this determines if more cores or cpu faster freq is the best path for your usage

your current video card can be upgraded to a faster one with more cuda cores, but due to the unavailability of current gen cards the price for them and the previous gen are not currently a good buy

it may make sense to simply wait 6 months or so and then see if video card prices have come down, and then compare the cost of  adding more ram/fastest or most core count cpu/video card to a bare bones z640 or the current "Z" models

HP Recommended

Thank you, @DGroves, for quick reply. 

Actually, the software I use rely both on core quantity and speed : 

For CPUs, clock speed matters more for After Effects. Multiple cores have more impact for Premiere Pro. The sweet spot for running both applications is a fast CPU with 8 cores.

• Core i7 or Core i9 Intel processors or AMD equivalents are strongly recommended.
  • Fast clock speed at least 3.2 GHz, or higher.
  • 8 cores are ideal for Premiere Pro. The application can use more cores, but without significant added benefit. Depending on the task, Premiere Pro runs at 93-98% efficiency with 8 cores.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.