Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Greetings, forum members.

I am considering upgrading a Z640 that I have with processors that runs at higher speed with less cores as the software I am using does not benifit from multi-core CPU's. Presently, the machine has 2 x E5-2620-V3. I am thinking about 2 x E5-2637-V4 that can be found in second hand stores.Bios is 02.58 Rev A. (TPM is upgraded to 2.0 even though I don't think that it matters in this thread.)

Question 1: Are there any Motherboard versions that cannot take theese CPU's like in the Z420 (Boot-Block issue)?

Question 2: Some V3 and V4 processors found on the internet has plastic frames, others have not. Are these necessary? Do I need to search for frames "versionized" for HP specific sockets?

Question 3: Will it be necessary to upgrade heat-sinks or PSU? Apart from an externally ATX-(2x3 pin) powered graphic card, no other energy hungry board is populated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

First, a question:

Sounds like you already have a second processor "riser" and mainly want higher clock speed over cores. I'm sure you know your memory MHz should match the faster processor's max MHz speed. If it is slower the processor will slow down to match the memory's slower speed.

1.  Unlike with the ZX20 workstations there is no version 1 vs version 2 issue. It is a processor v3 vs v4 issue with cost being something to think of in addition to higher memory costs.

2. You want to stick with the processors that HP has certified for that workstation. The best source for those is the most recent QuickSpecs version you can find. I don't know what you're talking about regarding this plastic frame concept... maybe that's because we only use HP-certified processors in these workstations. Each processor has a PCB, and it is resin based. Is that the plastic you speak of (they all have that, however)? Remember that HP does activate access to added newer processors over the life of a workstations via more recent versions of BIOS. Thus you'd always want to be running the latest BIOS (which you are, 2.58, released 1/18/22).

The HP-certified processors are just regular new Intel ones, but always check the Intel Ark site for whether there is more than one stepping.  If so buy the latest stepping, and match the two up that way.

3. No PSU or heatsink upgrade should be needed. I run the nice bigger Z440 heatsink (749554-001) in our single processor Z640 builds but you can't use that in dual processor Z640 builds.

Finally I'd make sure you have the optional front lower case cooling fan/PCI card guide cage installed.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

First, a question:

Sounds like you already have a second processor "riser" and mainly want higher clock speed over cores. I'm sure you know your memory MHz should match the faster processor's max MHz speed. If it is slower the processor will slow down to match the memory's slower speed.

1.  Unlike with the ZX20 workstations there is no version 1 vs version 2 issue. It is a processor v3 vs v4 issue with cost being something to think of in addition to higher memory costs.

2. You want to stick with the processors that HP has certified for that workstation. The best source for those is the most recent QuickSpecs version you can find. I don't know what you're talking about regarding this plastic frame concept... maybe that's because we only use HP-certified processors in these workstations. Each processor has a PCB, and it is resin based. Is that the plastic you speak of (they all have that, however)? Remember that HP does activate access to added newer processors over the life of a workstations via more recent versions of BIOS. Thus you'd always want to be running the latest BIOS (which you are, 2.58, released 1/18/22).

The HP-certified processors are just regular new Intel ones, but always check the Intel Ark site for whether there is more than one stepping.  If so buy the latest stepping, and match the two up that way.

3. No PSU or heatsink upgrade should be needed. I run the nice bigger Z440 heatsink (749554-001) in our single processor Z640 builds but you can't use that in dual processor Z640 builds.

Finally I'd make sure you have the optional front lower case cooling fan/PCI card guide cage installed.

HP Recommended

When searching on eg. eBay, some 2011-V3 and -V4 processor pictures shows the CPU with an extra plastic frame that are external to the CPU "PCB" and metal itself. I guess that the reason is to use the plastic as guides when placing the CPU in its socket. The CPU in my question is indeed listed in the Quick-spec. It can handle the memory speed used in my computer.

HP Recommended

Yes... I remember seeing those rarely in the past. The intent was to be able to perfectly position the processor flat over the socket and release it from slightly above into the socket. There are pics out there of people putting the processor one edge down into the socket at a steep angle and then rotating it in... that can bend the very delicate pins that stick up inside the base of these sockets.

There are orientation tabs and recesses and one orientation triangle to get things lines up correctly. Set the processor down flat... it is a bit awkward and don't drop it. I use the original Noctua NT-H1 because it spreads so nicely and evenly. Their NT-H2 does not spread so nicely. I do that outside of the computer before I set the processor in place. Ask for added help if you need it.

HP Recommended

Been there - Done that. I fixed a MB for one of my co-workers who had dropped the CPU, bending a few of the delicate pins. With a a microscope and tweezers, I managed to re-orient the bended pins. I have since done this repair for other boards. It can be done if the bended pins can be identified and if they are not to badly misaligned.

I have also noticed the risk of pins getting frozen/stuck to a CPU (galvanic corrosion/fretting?) which is a risk when attempting a CPU upgrade on an older MB. Removing the old CPU should always be done v e r y carefully...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.