Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z640 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hi everyone,

I am using samsung 951 series m2 ssd now on my desktop but ı want change this ssd with samsung 970pro 512gb. When I am trying change ssd and ı can install windows then restart cannot find hdd it is not bootable please help.

- ı cant boot with samsung 970pro

- I did bios update

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

hersinual,

There are several details of the configuration of the USB drive as well as BIOS settings when installing Windows that affect the ability of the system to  see the drive. 

It's importnat to distinguish the model of the Samsung SM951.  If it's AHCI, it is working under a different BIOS configuration than the 970 PRO, which is NVMe .  In my z620, the SM951 boot drive is AHCI whereas the 970 EVO is NVMe and as such may only be used as a data drive.  All zX40 systems may use NVMe as boot drives and if the SM951 is AHCI, it is probable that the BIOS is set for that configuration.

If the Samsung SM951 M.2 does work, it seems that there must be something in the creation of the installation USB at fault.  If you are using the same installation USB as for the SM951, then the problem may be a BIOS setting fault.

Assuming the SM951 is still installed, review and record the BIOS settings using the SM951 carefully, especially the boot sequence entries.

With the SM951 operating the system, try the 970 PRO in another slot and if it appears, then consider trying another installation USB- don't overwrite the original though.  This YouTube video seems a good guide to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJGwOIgusnE

Before installing,  it may be advisable to revert BIOS to the default factory settings in the event using an SM951 AHCI had changed the settings. 

When installing the Samsung 970 PRO, ensure that there are no other drives present in the system.

I hope others more knowledgeable than I will comment on this.

Let us know what happens.

BambiBoomZ

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.