Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP z640
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently killed my HP z640 when I shorted the 5V line of an Arduino board connected to the z640 via a USB 3.0 port (detailed in an earlier post).  Following the steps in the Solving minor problems section of the Maintenance and Service Guide, it seems I will need to replace the system board:

DiagnosticsSnippet.jpg

With the PSU plugged in, but not connected to anything, I also checked the voltages on the various PSU connectors.  I was most interested in the values registered on the P1 connector (labeled M1 on the PSU itself). The following are the readings I got:

-12V     +5V       N/C     +12V     +12V     +12V     +12V    0V     +12V

0V     +2.2mV   12V        0V          0V          0V           0V     0V     +12V

Although I was able to find information on the internet specifying the PSU connector pin layouts for several other HP models, I wasn't able to find a pinout diagram for the z640's P1 connector.   Some of the other models were close to these values, but always had a couple more +5V pins (and less +12V pins).  Might someone know where I might find the correct voltage values for the z640's P1 connector?  I'd like to verify if the PSU is operating correctly or not (i.e. will I need to replace it as well as the system board).   Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

please read the z640 "SERVICE MANUAL" on how to use the power supplies "BIST" mode to see if supply is functional

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04823811.pdf

To test the power supply:
  1. Unplug the AC power.
  2. Remove the power supply.
  3. Plug in AC power and verify the following:
    • If the green BIST LED on the rear of the workstation is illuminated and the fan is spinning, the power supply is functional.
    • If the green BIST LED is not illuminated or the fan is not spinning, replace the power supply.
HP Recommended

...and if it fails the BIST there are 5 right now on eBay for about 35.00 USD with free shipping, USA site.  I've never hesitated to install a used HP power supply bought this way, and never have had a used one fail thereafter.

HP Recommended

Sorry, I just saw your reply today (5/30).  I did read this manual and using the BIST mode determined the PSU was probably OK.  I rolled the dice and only replaced the motherboard and fortunately that seems to have resolved my issue.  I was just hoping to find the pinouts documented for the  z640 PSU (as I found for other HP workstations) so as to confirm it was providing the correct voltages.  I appreciate all the help you have provided.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.