Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z820
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HI,

HP Z820 Workstation

I have 4x SATA HDDs and I wish to create RAID 10 Array, should I used 4x SATA ports or 4x SAS ports?

Which is better and faster?

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Lemence,

Unfortunately, I don't use RAID arrays myself. My original reply was to try and point you in the right direction for the information you were looking for. i.e. Z820 RAID options/hardware configuration.

I would expect the boot time to noticeably increase when using any type of hardware RAID controller, (e.g. onboard RAID controller or PCI RAID card). This is due to the BIOS Power-On-Self-Test - BIOS tests all the active hardware at power on, then loads any ROMS, and additional (e.g. RAID) drivers for Windows to start. However, after the system has booted, disc access times should be significantly faster, and the data more secure.  - Assuming this was your objective.

Yes, it is possible to set up a RAID array in W10, but your RAID options are very limited. I expect that even the cheapest hardware RAID chip will out perform a software RAID setup. There seems to be plenty of information online on how to setup a Windows 10 array, but perhaps you should first consider the pros and cons of hardware RAID versus software RAID . . . 

Use Google to see if anyone has compared and/or tested HW v's SW RAID.

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi Lemence,

Please refer to the HP Z820 Maintenance and Service Guide, there is a dedicated section (page 161)on how to setup RAID on the Z820.

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
HP Recommended

Hi,

I'm using LSI SAS Controller Ports and RAID is working fine.

When LSI Controller is enabled in BIOS, it takes a lot longer to boot into W10, is it possible to disable LSI in BIOS for faster boot speed and still see RAID Array in W10? 

If I use 4x SCU ports to create RAID Array do I need to install any drivers in W10?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi Lemence,

Unfortunately, I don't use RAID arrays myself. My original reply was to try and point you in the right direction for the information you were looking for. i.e. Z820 RAID options/hardware configuration.

I would expect the boot time to noticeably increase when using any type of hardware RAID controller, (e.g. onboard RAID controller or PCI RAID card). This is due to the BIOS Power-On-Self-Test - BIOS tests all the active hardware at power on, then loads any ROMS, and additional (e.g. RAID) drivers for Windows to start. However, after the system has booted, disc access times should be significantly faster, and the data more secure.  - Assuming this was your objective.

Yes, it is possible to set up a RAID array in W10, but your RAID options are very limited. I expect that even the cheapest hardware RAID chip will out perform a software RAID setup. There seems to be plenty of information online on how to setup a Windows 10 array, but perhaps you should first consider the pros and cons of hardware RAID versus software RAID . . . 

Use Google to see if anyone has compared and/or tested HW v's SW RAID.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.