Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Z820
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

my Z820 keeps restarting automatically after approx 1-2 sec after I shutdown Win10.

What I tried so far:

1. fresh install of win10 with uefi and SATA0

2. CMOS reset

3. BIOS update (3.96)

4. hibernate OFF

5. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > SessionManager > Power > HiberbootEnabled to 0

6. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion > Winlogon > PowerDownAfterShutdown to 1

7. uncheck "Allow this device to wake the computer" in every driver power managment register I found

8. Disabled the Automatic Restart Option in Startup and Recovery

9. Turn off fast startup in power options

Nothing of all above mentioned ways worked out for me.

All I changed was the graphics card (rx570 to rx6800) and hdd (SAS (SAS0) to SATA (SATA0)).

My Specs:

2x E5-2637 v2

128 GB RAM

2TB SATA HDD (in HDD Bay 0)

RX6800

I would be very grateful if somebody could help me to fix this issue I try to fix by myself since one week or so. 

Thank you very much in advance.

PBuchmayr

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

One thing I forgot to mention:

When the Z820 restarts after 1-2 sec it is possible to shut it down by press and hold the power button. After this it don't restart and stay off.

Did somebody maybe faced this issue before and could help me please?

Thank you very much.

PBuchmayr

HP Recommended

That last comment suggests it may be a BIOS corruption problem.  The little CMOS reset button does not fix all BIOS issues., and there is a longer more complex method we have described here in the forum that involves removing the CMOS battery and disconnecting any cable of any type, and then pressing the CMOS button, pressing the power on/off button and hold for 20 seconds, waiting 1/2 hour, repeating a few times.... to drain the capacitors on the motherboard over and over and again.  Then battery back in, reconnect, and try again... if you can get the corruption to flush set back to factory defaults if they are not already (they should be).

If you can get into BIOS there is a setting for what the BIOS should do in case of power loss... you want that set to Off, rather than restart.

If you are not up to latest BIOS I'd flash that using the update BIOS from within BIOS method.... it is unsafe to do that from within the OS, especially W10, in our experience.  If you don't know how to do that let me know.

HP Recommended

Hi SDH,

thank you for your answer.
I tried the way you wrote and it didn't worked out for me.
Then I found your post and the one from Bambi about "crisis recovery jumper" and tried this way.

It seems that it flash the bios (crisis recovery jumper set and password jumper pulled) but after it flash the bios itself and the restart was done, it take a while and then it flash red for 9 times and after this for 16 times.

After the 16 times it flashes 8 times and this all the time and don't stop till I shut the Z820 manually down by press and hold the power button.

I tried this for some hour in a row with CMOS resetting and all it takes to do it right but it always behaved the same way. 
Should I try again or is something else broken? 
Did I do something wrong?

Is there a way to find out if a BIOS is corrupted?
Is this anywhere displayed or is there a check I can perform to find out for sure?

HP Recommended

in my opinion, this is NOT a bios related issue and trying to reflash the bios usually introduces a new problem by corrupting a working bios.

if the system still works, stop trying to flash the bios via the crysis recovery!!!

look at the windows log files, your symptoms indicate to me that a process is not being released/terminated upon shutdown

download the microsoft win 10 usb key installer image, and without any add in cards/usb devices installed/attached except for the video card install windows 10 in legacy mode (secure boot disabled in bios) and no GPT format on HD

also make sure the bios is reset to FACTORY DEFAULTS, not preconfigured/modded defaults

the only changes to make are network boot disabled, and LSI boot rom disabled (do not disable lsi controller in bios)

install win 10, and once at desktop touch NOTHING!!, simply try shutdown if normal operation apply all current ms updates and again try shutdown,  still ok? then add one program at a time testing after each install the shutdown

last make any changes to windows config ONE SETTING AT A TIME, again testing shutdown

HP Recommended

Hi DGroves,

thank you for your answer.
I tried your way many times in a row but it didn't want to run.
Everytime I tried to shutdown after a fresh install it woke up and restarted.
After the last fresh installation I had a look into the eventviewer and found a Kernel-Power event with the ID 109 (41) and 172 (203).
I searched for this and one person wrote that he had this event ID and Malwarebytes found something.
Because nothing worked so far I gave this solution a try.
Malwarebytes found something they call Malware.Heuristic.1001 and after it was deleted I tried to shutdown again.
This seemed to work neither and I searched for the second event ID 172 (203).
This seems to point to a problem with the PSU. I read through the service manual and found the Built-in Self Test (BIST).
For this you have to remove the PSU and plug it in outside the tower. If the LED at the back light up green the Power Supply should be OK and mine did this.
I put it back in and started the z820 again into BIOS.
My thoughts at this moment were I oversaw anything and read through the service manual regarding the BIOS.
The solution at the end was to enable the Legacy ACPI CPU Tables and start to win10. Afterwards I shut down but it dont work. I disabled it and also give this a try and viola it shut down again.
I don't know why but I'm really happy.
Maybe someone knows why this was working because it would be very useful to know.

Thank you SDH and DGroves for your time and efford. I appreciate it very much.

best wishes,
PBuchmayr

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.