Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
xw6600 workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I know this system is old . but i was trying to upgrade the proccessors to quad core e5450 xeons wich the system specs say that it supports but i get a error message stating that A proccessor requiring to much power is installed system halted then it shuts down . Please help .. thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Great, and that is an excellent workstation for this purpose.  Let me know if there's more I can do to help.

For your son.... have him google "xw6600 pinout" without the quotes and the link at the top which is to a .doc Word document is a project I did some years ago.  Much of that is still true in current workstations, also.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

>  A processor requiring too much power is installed. System halted ...

Is there any "tuning" options available within the BIOS SETUP, to adjust the voltage/amperage being sent to the processor? Maybe, under a category named like "overclocking" ?

HP Recommended

no there isnt i have double checked the motherboard specs and these chips are supported.

HP Recommended

First, as always, update your BIOS to the latest version.... that might be the solution, but probably not.

The E5450 is an 80W max TDP processor that is on the approved list for the xw6600, and every xw6600 I've ever built up (over 10) has two of those installed.... never a problem.  The E5450 has two sSpec codes, the older SLANQ and the newer SLBBM.  Only buy the newer sSpec code processor because you'll get the Intel improvements built in.

In contrast, there is an X5450 for the xw8600 but it is a 120W max TDP processor.  That has two sSpec codes, the older SLASB and the newer SLBBE.  I bet you actually have one (or two) of those.  The motherboard is programmed to know if you're trying to run a hotter processor than allowed for the heatsink fan present.  You can jumper from pin 1 to pin 5 of the motherboard header (ground to pin 5 at the white plastic plug end) as I've posted about here to see if you can get away with at least booting.  The BIOS microcode might not let you do even that, but it will not balk at a true E5450.

You can do a google search for E5450 and X5450, go to the Intel ark site (ark is in the address) and go to Ordering and Compliance to see more info.  You can see the sSpec code laser etched on the stainless cap of the processor.

The thing is, that 120W X is no better/faster than the 80W E processor, and those SLBBMs are now only about 15.00 USD each with shipping from eBay.  Go unscrew your heatsink and look at the sSpec code etched there.

HP Recommended

thank you that was exactly the information i was looking for i knew it was a simple issue i just  wasnt able to find the ansewer .. again thanks

HP Recommended

one more question i swear can you point me in the direction of where i can find the pinout diagram ..

HP Recommended

I have to say.... why not just buy a xw6600 off eBay, a dog slow one for cheap, and use that with the processor upgrade?  Two of those E5450s have worked in every one I bought that way.  The hardware just keeps running and running...... Here's more pinout info:

Google "xw6600 pinout" and the top response will be a Word doc I made years ago.

Use "xw6600 pinout" in this forum's search bar top left, which searches this forum only.  Or, search here for "pinout".

Good luck on your project, and all the answers are in here (but sometimes hard to find).

HP Recommended

thats is where i got the motherboard from its for my son to learn computers on he chose it and it seemed like a good place for him to start before i shelled out the big bucks for  newer tech while i made sure this was something he really was into . i figured out that we do have the right processors and that the issue is due to the fact that we are liquid cooling them so jumping the pins  worked . again thanx 

HP Recommended

Great, and that is an excellent workstation for this purpose.  Let me know if there's more I can do to help.

For your son.... have him google "xw6600 pinout" without the quotes and the link at the top which is to a .doc Word document is a project I did some years ago.  Much of that is still true in current workstations, also.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.