Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Are you having HotKey issue? Click here for tips and tricks.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows XP

My XP 64 bit xw 8400 will not see my DVD player it detects the CD hardware. I would like to watch DVD's on it. Is there anyway to get the discontinued software? Should the old xp 32 bit HP DVD softwarethat used to be shipped with HP desktops work? The device is correctly indentified in the system as a CD/DVD RW.

DKentucky
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK.

Give me a few minutes to find a suitable program from my archived software.

I will post back with the file name and shared link when it is ready for download.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

It should.

Do you have such a disk?

If not, I will zip up some old HP DVD software I have and upload it to my Skydrive folder and share the link with you.

HP Recommended

No. I have lost it. It is a DVD R-W

DKentucky
HP Recommended

OK.

Give me a few minutes to find a suitable program from my archived software.

I will post back with the file name and shared link when it is ready for download.

HP Recommended

Thanks, Paul. That would be GREAT!

DKentucky
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.  Our internet service went down for a while for some reason or another.

Hopefully this version will work for you and recognize it is being installed on a qualifying HP PC...

Here is the link to my Skydrive folder.  You want to download and unzip the file labeled as DVD8SE.zip

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApMb5dJXSS-Dggen6t_Lt2eggvfZ?e=gjhIUj

If for some reason that file doesn't work, there is also an older version in the folder zipped up and  labeled WINDVD5.zip

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul. The software loaded fine. I think there is a problem with the DVD player. The CD function works in the WinDVD Intervideo software window. The window says no Media or drive when I try to play a DVD . Thanks again for your help. I'll just not worry about it anymore.

DKentucky
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad the file worked.

No doubt you can easily pick up a used but tested and working DVD-RW drive on eBay.

This is the part number from the xw8400 parts list...419498-001

16X SATA DVD+/-RW SuperMulti optical drive - With attached bezel (Black)

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=419498-001&_sacat=0&_sop=15

HP Recommended

Thanks, Paul, that's a great idea. I also found a regedit on you tube where if you have Windows Media player 10, which I do, you can enable the DVD to operate through Windows Media Player, and not need a 3rp party program. I did that and it still didn't see the DVD so I will try to get one  off of ebay. Thanks again

DKentucky
HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

The DVD player uses two laser beams of different focal lengths.

One reads CD's and one reads DVD's.

So, it is very possible that the DVD laser is kaput, and the CD laser works fine.

A drive replacement would be the only solution to your dilemma.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.