Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z4 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good afternoon . 

If it is possible, please, i would like to know how to install  a dust filter in a HP Z4 G4 workstation. I have read the workstation's manual, i have also seen the leaflet which comes with the dust filter  (dust filter code is : 3DY47AA)  but still i wasn't able to do the job. All the information (from manuals & dust filter accompanying leaflet) are totally crap  and they don't provide any useful information. 

Thanks in advance

Michael

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

There exists 2 different bezels for the Z4 G4.  One bezel does not have and does not accommodate a dust filter, while the other bezel comes with a dust filter.  You need the latter bezel.  You may need to check with HP to find the appropriate part number (the bezel and filter are ordered under a single part number).

HP Recommended

You can search for the Z4 G4 dust filter kit and it is currently listed in some places for about $50.00 USD.   You should be able to navigate the HP Part Surfer site to find it.  Buying direct from HP would be best if they have it in stock.  The kit is shown in 4 parts, and I bet you need all 4.  The manual talks about magnetic attachment but I don't know if that includes the two filter parts.  If you only bought the filters then you will be sure to be frustrated.... they need the right plastic parts to be attached into.  The standard non-filter parts will be shaped differently.  Here is a picture of the kit:

HP Z4 G4 Dust Filter Kit.jpg

HP Recommended

Yes.  I can confirm that all 4 parts (which include the bezel) are needed -- The bezel that comes without them will not hold the filters.

As for the magnetic attachment -- the bezel (the special version that holds filters) connects to the computer case magnetically -- it's really neat.

HP Recommended

Thanks Lucretius for that info.... sure sounds like that is what you ordered for your Z4 G4!  I'm going to assume the kit would work for both the Xeon and the CoreX versions of the Z4 G4 workstations, and I am sure it would be cheaper to order the option at time of original purchase.  I did track down the part, and cost from HP.  I doubt another vendor can do better on price.  For those who don't know..... the Z4G4 comes in the two versions above, and are different enough that they need different BIOS versions.  The Xeon one is higher end, and has two motherboard NIC chipsets.... the other has only one.  So, you can look on the back for a quick way to see what one you're dealing with.  Here's the search results, from HP PartSurfer... $117.00 USD for the 4-part kit:

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

HP Recommended

Yes.  L15658-001 is the correct part number.  However, I got mine for free. When my Z4 G4 was shipped to me, the bezel was scratched.  At the time, I did not know there were 2 different bezels but I had noted a reference in the manual to a dust filter.  So I called up HP and told them about the scratched bezel and also informed them that the dust filter was missing.  The case adviser ordered both the L15658-001(bezel with dust filter) and the L15655-001 (regular bezel - does not accommodate the dust filter) because he thought the bezel was a separate item and couriered them to me no charge.  So now I have a nice regular bezel stored away and I have the bezel with the dust filter on my computer.  Since the bezel is held in place only by magnet, it can be easily removed to expose the dust filter for cleaning -- no need to open the case, etc.   

Also note that I have the Xeon version of the workstation.  Although, I think the case is identical for the CoreX version.

Now having said that, I don't think I would bother purchasing the bezel/dust filter combo if I had a nice bezel already in place (well not for $117 USD anyway); I'd keep the money in my pocket. YMMV.

HP Recommended

Great info, and great service by HP. 

Perhaps someone can chime in on how much the "upgrade" to the special kit is during the process of purchase of a brand new Z4G4.  I'd bet it is significantly less than $114.00 USD.

HP Recommended

Lucretius15 thank you very much for your time spent for answering my question and your invaluable help. I really appreciate this. I will order this part ( 3DY48AA )from Greece. i contacted a local retailer here and it costs 39.68 euros. 

HP Recommended

SDH  thank you very much for your time spent for answering my question and your invaluable help. I really appreciate this. I will order this part ( 3DY48AA )from Greece. i contacted a local retailer here and it costs 39.68 euros. 

HP Recommended

the other major difference is the motherboard itself (they are different between the Intel/xeon systems) and due to the rear I/O being slightly different between both versions the cases may not swap, or may if hp simply covered the missing nic port on the intel z4/z8 cases (can anyone answer this?)

the xeon motherboard also supports two m.2 SSD's on the board where the Intel board only supports One M.2 socket

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.