Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp z420
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

so i reinstalled windows 10 on a new ssd, now that a reinstall my drives are not showing up in windows anywhere, not in disk management, device manager, file explorer or anything, it shows in bios though, and it spins.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

the z420 does not have hardware based onboard raid, it only has two generic GREY Intel SATA 6GBps ports and your boot SSD should be attached to the grey port "0" and the DVD/CD (if installed) to the sec grey 6GBps port 1

the 4 white INTEL "SCU" Sata ports that are driven by the Intel RSTe driver, these "SCU" ports can be setup as a non bootable software driven raid 0/1 through the z420 bios and these SCU ports are not available during the win 10 setup unless you load the intel RSTe driver during the drive selection screen as i previously stated, if you skip the driver during setup no devices will be seen on the 4 white "SCU" ports during the OS install, however once the main OS files are installed and the OS boots up it will find the 4 "SCU" ports using the win 10 driver included in the main OS (the win 10 OS setup lacks this driver)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

windows 10 has all the necessary drivers for the z420 hardware i've installed win 10 on my z820 using just the MS installer

you can however download the Intel RSTe driver from HP and load the "DOS" driver during the win 10 setup

On the disk selection screen there is a load driver button, use this to load the DOS RSTe driver

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-z420-workstation/5225033

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/add-device-drivers-to-windows-...

HP Recommended

thanks, i never did that but my fix ended up being pluuging in the drive into raid controller instead of normal sata port.

HP Recommended

the z420 does not have hardware based onboard raid, it only has two generic GREY Intel SATA 6GBps ports and your boot SSD should be attached to the grey port "0" and the DVD/CD (if installed) to the sec grey 6GBps port 1

the 4 white INTEL "SCU" Sata ports that are driven by the Intel RSTe driver, these "SCU" ports can be setup as a non bootable software driven raid 0/1 through the z420 bios and these SCU ports are not available during the win 10 setup unless you load the intel RSTe driver during the drive selection screen as i previously stated, if you skip the driver during setup no devices will be seen on the 4 white "SCU" ports during the OS install, however once the main OS files are installed and the OS boots up it will find the 4 "SCU" ports using the win 10 driver included in the main OS (the win 10 OS setup lacks this driver)

HP Recommended

thank you so much, now i can install the rest of my drives!

HP Recommended

hp has the RSTe driver posted on the z400 driver page........................

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.