Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Unknown

need hp z600 bios to see intel ssd pcie 1tb hard drive

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Ain't no such thing.  I even tried the HP generation 1 Z Turbo Drive in the Z600 and no joy.

The closest I got, and it was successful, was to buy a Kingston Predator SATA type controller M.2 drive and their PCIe card that allowed the drive to be seen in the BIOS bootable drive listing, and to be functional and quite fast.  But, that was only after much work that led to a breakthrough.... there is one of the two Intel storage controller drivers currently listed on the HP Z600 drivers site that would allow that Predator to work in the Z600.  Kingston did not even know that.  The other driver resulted in an instant blue screen crash as soon as boot progressed out of BIOS and into the OS stage of booting.

Kingston no longer makes those.  Some are still available used or new, but rare to come by.  You can read my posts in here about how I pulled that off and the driver to use by using the search bar above and searching for "Kingston Predator".  There is a newer generation  of Kingston M.2 drives but they have NVMe type controllers and thus won't work in the Z600.

My advice:  it may be time to move on......  As you know, the Z600 runs its SATA ports at SATA II speeds, and thus a SATA III drive will give you no benefit in the Z600.  The Z620/Z420 workstations, version 2, are excellent workstations that can now be gotten off eBay used for excellent prices.  We run almost all our Z620s with only one processor and and in that situation the Z620 and Z420 version 2 workstations are functionally equivalent.  But the Z420 v2 prices have come way down.

HP Recommended

I tried many configurations.

end up in a single PCIe Card wich has a sockel for one M.2 AHCI Card and one M.2 NVME Card.

The AHCI is only for Booting the Windows 10
and all other Data are on the NVME which i can use under Windows

the Z600 never can use a NVME or most PCIe SSD´s as Boot device.

But NVME is working under Windows 10 without problems, have 1500 gb´s speed on it
250 GB´s on the AHCI SSD which is connectet to the onboard Sata.

I also tried many RAID Controller but the speed on them was not realy the price they costs. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.