Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Z620 dual xeon workstation
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

i got a question regarding the HP Z620 workstation.

recently bought a dual xeon one, with GTX 960 installed on the 6pin connector.

as i cannot find any other power connector to use neither on the power supply,

nor anywhere else around the board, i'm wondering how a graphic card should be powered that

needs

1 x 8 pin

or

1 x 8 pin + 6 pin

or

2 x 8 pin ?

i know there were some discussions about that in this forum, but i didn't understand

the solution. some said there are adapters to switch 6pin to 8 pin (or 6pin to 2x8pin)??

but how is that possible?

as far i know, 75 watts are max from the pci-e connection, 75 further watts max. for 1x6pin.

so connecting any adapter to that 1x6pin for graphics cards that need far more power would be

against the specification/a danger, right?

and what about dual graphics setup??

would be glad if anyone around could help me with this,

best greetings

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The search box on this page by default searches only this forum, and it is handy.  If you type in "supplemental" you'll find lots of info.

The Z620 has two of those 6-pin cables, and HP got creative and molded in two blank receptacles down at the front black plastic fan holder.  So, one is in use by you and the second is sitting there plugged in and looking like it is being used, but it is just stored there doing nothing..... the fan is powered another way.

Those HP 6-pin PCIe supplemental power cables are not to the ATX standard.... they are better.  The ATX standard is that 75 watts can come up to the card from the slot, and another 75 watts can come via the 6-pin supplemental cable.  The HP 6-pin cable can do quite a bit more.

Here is the post you want to read, and there are details there that were not in any of the HP manuals I searched through, but the answer was on the Z620 power supply label.  18A 12V each, plus added info on some special HP adapters that let you take one HP 6-pin cable and split to two 6-pin plugs, or one 6-pin HP cable to one 8-pin plug.  Look here.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/HP-Z620-Workstation...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The search box on this page by default searches only this forum, and it is handy.  If you type in "supplemental" you'll find lots of info.

The Z620 has two of those 6-pin cables, and HP got creative and molded in two blank receptacles down at the front black plastic fan holder.  So, one is in use by you and the second is sitting there plugged in and looking like it is being used, but it is just stored there doing nothing..... the fan is powered another way.

Those HP 6-pin PCIe supplemental power cables are not to the ATX standard.... they are better.  The ATX standard is that 75 watts can come up to the card from the slot, and another 75 watts can come via the 6-pin supplemental cable.  The HP 6-pin cable can do quite a bit more.

Here is the post you want to read, and there are details there that were not in any of the HP manuals I searched through, but the answer was on the Z620 power supply label.  18A 12V each, plus added info on some special HP adapters that let you take one HP 6-pin cable and split to two 6-pin plugs, or one 6-pin HP cable to one 8-pin plug.  Look here.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/HP-Z620-Workstation...

HP Recommended

whow, thanks a lot, that was really helpful information!

will check that link also ..

best greetings

Chris

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.