Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I got a brand new HP Z4G4 workstation (model 9VD53UT), pre-installed with 8gb RAM, and Win 10 pro on an M.2 boot drive. Upon starting up this pc, I have installed an ASUS Geforce RTX 2070  with 8GB graphic card and 32GB RAm and a WD 4TB data drive. It boot up in less than 30 sec. Everything is working as expected. The system is intended to be used for video editing with Adobe Premier CC.

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 18363) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP
System Model: HP Z4 G4 Workstation
BIOS: P62 v02.56 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900X CPU @ 3.70GHz (20 CPUs), ~3.7GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 32496MB RAM
Page File: 7957MB used, 40537MB available
Windows Dir: C:\windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Problem arises when I add another internal WD Ultrastar SATA drive 10TB HelioSeal. 

The system would take more than 10 min to boot up. It keeps spinning the drive while booting up.

I have tried to disable all other drive except M.2  on BIOS boot order, to no avail.  

Everything else including BIOS are current.

Please help if you have any idea to solve this problem.

Note: I have contacted:

- HP support but was refused due to the drive is a third party drive.

- WD support was also refused suggesting the HP BIOS is not supporting higher capacity drive. No hard drive firmware update is available. 

Another interesting note:

Thinking the new WD 10Tb drive might be defected, I pulled it out and place it in a HP SFF destop with a SSD boot drive,  i7 CPU, 8 GB RAM. It was recognized and boot quickly, no problem. 

Benchmark the drive using CrystalDiskMark, yielded Read/Write throughput 262/260 Mb/s.

So what cause very slow boot time with this workstation. Any help or guidance  is very much appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I have no answers yet, but some questions:

Where does it hang? BIOS, or Windows? Have you increased the levels of reporting in BIOS/Windows? (Those messages can, at times, be helpful.)

What happens when you boot up with the 4TB disconnected, and the 10GB connected (to the same port if it too is SATA)?

HP Recommended

"Where does it hang? BIOS, or Windows? Have you increased the levels of reporting in BIOS/Windows? (Those messages can, at times, be helpful.)"

The system did not hang, HP Sure Start screen loaded with timer keep rolling so I assume Windows was booting up. But there is a brief moment, the screen went blue prior to windows user login screen.

Regarding the increase the level of reporting:

I do not know how to increase level of reporting. Do you mean ENABLE BOOT LOGGING ?  The resulted log is partially as follows:

BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Beep.SYS
BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ basicdisplay.inf_amd64_307898c750ba9e44\BasicDisplay.sys
BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\          basicrender.inf_amd64_ba2a8de08ea0d469\BasicRender.sys
BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Npfs.SYS
BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Msfs.SYS
BOOTLOG_LOADED \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\tdx.sys

dxgkrnl.sys is not loaded >> Does the graphics card cause the problem ?

"What happens when you boot up with the 4TB disconnected, and the 10GB connected (to the same port if it too is SATA)?"

The drives of 4tb and 10tb are all SATA.

With same SATA port, same cable, 4tb drive, the system boots up in less than 30sec. 

Whereas swapping it with  the 10tb, it take over 10 min spinning the drive before sucessfully boot up.

I have tried all sort of combinations to boot the system, both at same time on SATA 0 to 5, swapping cables, changing SATA port, changing new SATA cables, etc... but to no avail. 

I do appreciate your posting/replying to this post. 

HP Recommended

Update on this issue:

Resolving this issue has been very frustrated and time consuming. 

Here is what I did to take care of this slow boot problem.

The original 256gb M2 boot drive was removed and replaced by a new M2 drive. 

A fresh Win 10 pro OS was installed followed with updating all necessary drivers ordinarily required for a new pc including HP Support Assistant. 

Voila, the pc boots up nicely with the 10tb drive and recognizing it without delay,

I tested with several other combo such as adding 2 of 10tb drives, 2 drives of 4tb / 10tb, 10tb / 500gb SSD, etc...

everything ran without a hitch.

I do not know what is wrong with the original built-in Win10 pro done by HP.

Apparently, crashing the whole OS with new hardware and OS is my desperate choice after wasting so much time to find a solution. 

Any answer or guidance to this issue is very much appreciated.

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.