Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Z820 Workstation (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to install Intel Rapid Storage drivers (RSTe driver ver. 4.3.0.1198) sp98397 on a new Windows 10 install to my Z820 workstation. 

It looks like the setup.exe file's been removed -- maybe due to this article Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver Installer Vulnerability 

In a previous post, Itsmyname, on 3-22-22 posted these accurate relevant files from the extracted sp98397:

Directory of C:\SWSetup\SP98397\RSTe_4.3.0.1199_ConfigTools_EFI_DOS\RSTe_DOS_EFI_Config_Z420_Z620_Z820

10/06/2015 04:49 PM 103,937 RCfgSata.exe
10/06/2015 04:42 PM 117,281 RCfgScu.exe
10/06/2015 04:49 PM 51,761 RCmpSata.exe
10/06/2015 04:42 PM 30,385 RCmpScu.exe 

and:

Directory of C:\SWSetup\SP98397\Drivers_RSTe_4.3.0.1198

21/05/2015 12:18 PM 5,775 iaAHCI.inf
21/05/2015 12:18 PM 4,710 iaAHCIB.inf
21/05/2015 12:18 PM 10,995 iaStorA.inf
21/05/2015 12:18 PM 4,630 iaStorB.inf
21/05/2015 12:18 PM 40,625 iaStorS.inf

My win10 drive is connected to the Intel C602's AHCI. Intel claims that their RSTe drivers will increase performance, even if one isn't using RAID on the SCU.

Anyone have a recommendation on which file above I should execute to manually install the driver? Are most of you workstation owners installing Intel's RSTe drivers?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You need to manually update the Intel Chipset SATA Raid Controller in your screenshot and browse to the same driver folder.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi:

You want the first grouping of files in the folder...

RSTe driver ver. 4.3.0.1198

To install the driver, go to the device manager.

Click to expand the IDT ATA/ATAPI controllers device manager category.

Click on the Intel SATA AHCI controller listed there.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update driver.

Select the 'Browse my computer for drivers' option and browse to the RSTe driver ver. 4.3.0.1198 folder.

Make sure that the Include Subfolders box is checked and the driver should install.

You may be prompted to restart the PC after the driver is updated.

HP Recommended

Thanks, Paul. I've expanded Disk drives and Storage controllers in Device Manager but can't find something for the Intel SATA AHCI. My Samsung SSD 860 (Win10) is plugged into the Intel SATA AHCI 0 on the Z820 motherboard and is working. In screen shot below, I've expanded out the properties of the SSD 860 from Disk drives. It's currently using a Microsoft driver. The Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller, under Storage Controllers, is using Intel driver 15.44.0.1015, if that's helpful.

device manager 1.JPG

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You need to manually update the Intel Chipset SATA Raid Controller in your screenshot and browse to the same driver folder.

HP Recommended

Note that the RSTe and RST drivers are different, it appears that someone loaded a intel RST driver package,

this does not fully support the z820's c602 enterprise chipset

uninstall any existing RST drivers listed in the  add/remove  programs list

install the full  intel RSTe ver 4.6.1085 package which is the last to have full support for the c602 chipset

https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/MOTHERBOARD/Intel/Intel-RSTe-AHCI-RAID-Driver-4-6-0-1085.shtml

this package supports 32/64 bit os's and  includes os setup drivers (F6),  CLI and GUI installers

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen:  Got it done and thank you. The key to success was following your step-by-step instructions, particularly these two steps:

@Paul_Tikkanen wrote:

Select the 'Browse my computer for drivers' option and browse to the RSTe driver ver. 4.3.0.1198 folder.

Make sure that the Include Subfolders box is checked and the driver should install.

I thought I needed to know the exact right file to point Device Manager's "Update Driver" to. I was amazed I could be at the top of the folder, check to include all subfolders, and voilà, Device Manager found the files it needed all by itself!

I had missed in Device Manager that the "SAS Controller" was also missing its driver. At first, I thought I needed a HP win10 LSI SAS 2308 driver, which I couldn't find. So, I tried your trick again, pointed "Update Driver" back to the top of the RSTe 4.3.0.1198 folder, and surprisingly it worked. It needed an Intel driver from the same sp98397 pack and not an LSI driver.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

HP Recommended

@DGroves: Since I followed Paul's steps to completion, I'll leave HPs package of Intel's RSIe 4.3.01198 in place for now. But I did download the Intel RSTe 4.6.0.1085 drivers off softpedia.com, thanks to your link. After I backup this fresh Win10 install, I'll come back and update the Intel storage controllers with your recommended drivers. Thanks!

HP Recommended

OnSugar, For perspective: DGroves has worked with these particular HP workstations for years now in enterprise level IT. Paul_T is a highly respected driver guru also.

Some of the drivers for the ZX20 workstations have to be licensed via a factory firmware entry into the motherboard... if your motherboard has already been licensed for use of the RSTe (e = "enterprise") level of software install then it is automatic, ethical, and functional to use the RSTe drivers. Otherwise, you can only use the RST drivers (the "free" version). The way Intel describes this in their ReadMe (in the installer folder) is that the licensed software will only be enabled if the appropriate Intel RAID C600-series "Upgrade Key" is present in the firmware. Otherwise, if the software installer for a RSTe version does its automatic check of your motherboard if there is no license key you can't proceed.

I believe this license key is applied only to the Windows-"branded" motherboards and not to the ones configured at the factory for Linux use. The term "to brand" in this situation has to do with a firmware flash of special codes done usually at the factory to a "virgin" motherboard. So, there likely will be some sold-for-Linux-use ZX20 workstations that will never be able to install the RSTe version of the  software.

HP paid for the "e" licensing to Intel way back and assunming your Z820 came from the factory branded for Windows/RSTe licensing that right was passed through to you from the time of the original purchase of your workstation. Let's say you are the second purchaser of this hardware... the hardware does not know and is still happy to install the RSTe software (which will work fine under the original license for you and any future owner).

So, there is some benefit, and I'd use the latest RSTe verion.

HP Recommended
@SDH wrote:

The way Intel describes this in their ReadMe (in the installer folder) is that the licensed software will only be enabled if the appropriate Intel RAID C600-series "Upgrade Key" is present in the firmware. Otherwise, if the software installer for a RSTe version does its automatic check of your motherboard if there is no license key you can't proceed.

HI SDH,
First, thanks for sharing a really interesting piece of ZX20 lore which I had never known.

Secondly, while I didn't purchase my Z820 new, it did come with Windows 7 and RSTe (w/ GUI) installed. I've actually left Win7 Pro installed on one internal SSD drive and had just installed a fresh Win10 Pro w/ new license on another internal SSD. I'm using the F9 Boot Manager of the Z820 to successfully switch between the two OS's. I hope the RAID C600 "Upgrade Key" doesn't know or care that I'm running two OS's on the same system. 🙂

@SDH wrote:

So, there is some benefit, and I'd use the latest RSTe verion.

The fresh install I did of Win10 Pro on an unallocated drive didn't ask for either an LSI or Intel driver. Windows just went ahead and installed a v.15.x Intel SATA RAID controller and left the Z820's Intel SAS controller unsupported. When you say to use the latest RSTe version, are you suggesting installing Intel's current latest, or DGrove's recommended RSTe 4.6.0.1085 drivers?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.