Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z220 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I would like to bypass Power-On Password prompt whenever I restart my HP Z220 SFF from Windows, so  I don't have to attend to the computer during Windows updates, which may restart the computer multiple times.

The "HP Z220 SFF, Z220 CMT, Z420, Z620, and Z820 Workstations Maintenance and Service Guide" states that I should be able to disable "warm boot" password prompts via BIOS Security - Password Options - "Password Prompt on F9 F11& F12" (poor name choice!). I have done so but the power-on password prompt continues to be presented when restarting Windows!

I updated the K51 BIOS to version 1.87. Contrary to the Service Guide, there is no option to " Password Prompt on Warm Boot", or at least I can't find it. No other passwords are set for the system.  Suggestions?  Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

As far as i know, the Bios password prompt on warm boot is tied to/part of the power on password if using the Bios to set a power on password as such you can not just disable only  the warm boot password prompt on a  bios level it's either Both on or off

however it's possible to disable a warm boot prompt for a single user account on the OS level, simply select this account and remove any passwords  i don't think you can have a cold boot password and then no warm boot password due to how the OS boot process works

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for my delay in saying thanks! The Z200 BIOS allowed this to happen, and v1.19 on that platform doesn't really have any special settings for warm reboot that I could find. Yet, if you restart from Windows 10, it passes through the BIOS boot delay then restarts Windows without demanding a password.

I was kinda hopeful there was some sort of management or provisioning in the Z220 BIOS that I was missing. Oh, well, just have to put up with the passwords on reboot... it's not all that often. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.