Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
z420
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi!

I wonder if there is a way to automatically power on a z420 PC after the power has been resumed (after a power loss due to external reasons)? Maybe this can be done in Bios?

Thanks a lot!

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

@dima999

Yes there should be an option in the BIOS for Power-on after loss of power.

REO

HP Recommended

yes - thank you - I enabled this option in Bios - tested it and in some cases it shows the screen saying that something has changed with the computer - change of hardware or power loss and offers to press F1 FOR BOOT -can this be avoided? as I need the workstation to power on on itself when I am away and continue the operation.thanks!

HP Recommended

yes, you can prevent this message, it's known as a UPS and by that i mean one that actually performs the ups functions

which include auto shutdown when battry low, and auto start when power restored

those 50.00 units that say ups on then are not suitable for your requirement, as they lack many features like remote access to the ups which allows manual power on/off of the ups

you will need to spend in the 300/400 dollar range to get a model that meets your requirements read the ups makers white page and unit specs on what a specific model offers

HP Recommended

Thank you - I am using a used z420 - you think I need to replace the UPS that comeswith it? maybe I can diable this alert in bois?

HP Recommended

first of all the z420 DOES NOT COME WITH A UPS,  so i have no idea what you are talking about

this is what a ups looks like

https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-Power-Saving-Back-UPS-Pro-1500/P-BR1500G

HP Recommended

ahhh yes - I have one of these - I was just simulating the time when th epower would be cut for long periods of time - so that workstation can start on its own and continue working..

HP Recommended

and again,...the higher end ups's have this feature of being able to auto start a system after extended power off times

one last time,.....visit the ups maker of your choice and look at the busnieness series of ups's not the consumer lines

read the model info and if nessary contact the sales dept with your requirements

HP Recommended

Frankly I thought that the factory pwoer block woudl suffice...here is a snapshot of the error screen from another workstation but the the top text is the same - what this migth mean? do I have a faulty motehrboard?

IMG_20180520_145113.jpg

HP Recommended

Not sure why you keep digressing into the UPS sphere - this has to do with the workstation itself - do you think this message is not NORMAL for z420? shoudl I look for motherboard replacement or power supply?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.