Classic2
Level 1
8 4 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

Extend [a b/c] button to implement [ENG] on HP Prime

HP Recommended
HP Prime

Could HP add an ENG number format to the circulation loop of [a b/c] button?

I am an analog IC design engineer and have been using HP prime for a few years at work.
For 95% of time, I found myself using HP prime for simple caculations such as divisions and multiplications for Ohm's law. For example, if I want to know the 275Mohm resistor current at 3.3V, then I type in 3.3/275e6 and HP prime gives me "0.000000012". Since there are many zeros after the decimal point, I have to pause for a while to count zero digits.

To help me, I set Number Format to "Engineering-4" and then it shows 12.000e-9 (Yay !)

However, my previous calculation, 0.95*3.3 (95% of 3.3V) turns into 950.00e-3*3.3000e0 = 3.1350e0

To me, "950.00e-3*3.3000e0" notation is much more confusing than "0.95*3.3".

So I switch back to "Standard" realizing the importance of [ENG] button.

I have a calculator that has [ENG] button, but unfortunately it doesn't keep the calculation history so I don't use it at work. I think it was designed for test takers.

I have Matlab installed on my laptop, but starting Matlab for a few simple ohm's law calculations seems cumbersome, so I still use a hand-held calculator for these little things.

P.S.: HP can put a radio button in Home Settings that can turn off this feature by default.

I believe this requires only software update and doesn't need hardware changes.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation