Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Prime

Could HP add an ENG number format to the circulation loop of [a b/c] button?

I am an analog IC design engineer and have been using HP prime for a few years at work.
For 95% of time, I found myself using HP prime for simple caculations such as divisions and multiplications for Ohm's law. For example, if I want to know the 275Mohm resistor current at 3.3V, then I type in 3.3/275e6 and HP prime gives me "0.000000012". Since there are many zeros after the decimal point, I have to pause for a while to count zero digits.

To help me, I set Number Format to "Engineering-4" and then it shows 12.000e-9 (Yay !)

However, my previous calculation, 0.95*3.3 (95% of 3.3V) turns into 950.00e-3*3.3000e0 = 3.1350e0

To me, "950.00e-3*3.3000e0" notation is much more confusing than "0.95*3.3".

So I switch back to "Standard" realizing the importance of [ENG] button.

I have a calculator that has [ENG] button, but unfortunately it doesn't keep the calculation history so I don't use it at work. I think it was designed for test takers.

I have Matlab installed on my laptop, but starting Matlab for a few simple ohm's law calculations seems cumbersome, so I still use a hand-held calculator for these little things.

P.S.: HP can put a radio button in Home Settings that can turn off this feature by default.

I believe this requires only software update and doesn't need hardware changes.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.