Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

I'm a regular user of my CD Drive to burn cds for my car, however a couple of months ago it just stopped working. I'm using the exact same blank cd's as i always have. When i put the blank in, it says that it is burning and it starts spinning, then within a minute or so it just ejects back out! ive tried with multiple cd's now. 

All i can think of is whether it has something to do with when i updated to windows 10.

Ive tried uninstalling it and then using system recovery to try and fix the issue, but nothing seems to work!

Ive read a few support pages on this issue, but i just dont understand! 

Please help!

Thanyou,

Shan 🙂

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @_shan1,

Thank you for joining HP Forums.

I'll be glad to help you 🙂

As I understand, your notebook would not burn CD's

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution:

When was the last time it worked fine?

Did you make any hardware/software changes? 

What is the product number? 

While you respond to that, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: CD or DVD Drive Cannot Burn Discs (Windows 10, 😎

Let me know how that pans out

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask any other queries as well,

Considering, this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

HP Recommended

> When i put the blank in, it says that it is burning and it starts spinning,

> then within a minute or so it just ejects back out! ive tried with multiple cd's now. 

This symptom matches a "failed" CD-writer -- the laser inside the device is not "burning" the surface.

> All i can think of is whether it has something to do with when i updated to windows 10.

Very doubtful!

> Ive tried uninstalling it and then using system recovery to try and fix the issue, but nothing.

You do not have a "software" problem -- you have a "hardware" problem.

Replace the CD/DVD drive.  Costs under $40 USA.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.