Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
ZBook 15 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When running the command-line silent install of HP Image Assistant, the camera software fails to silently install. It runs the installer in normal mode and prompts for user interaction, causing the rest of the silent installs to wait for the user to interact with the dialog box.

The command to start the silent install:

HPImageAssistant.exe /Operation:Analyze /Catagory:All /Selection:All /Action:Install /SoftpaqDownloadFolder:C:\HPIA /Silent

I've recorded this happening on a ZBook 15 G4 (happens on 840 G2, G3, G4 as well):

https://youtu.be/UDU6yTkI95E?t=26m40s

I noticed the sp79651 HP Universal Camera Driver folder included a install.cmd that had the following code:

@echo off

rem Switch to batch file directory
pushd %~dp0

pushd bin
"HPUCDSilent.exe"
popd

:done
popd
exit /b %ERRORLEVEL%

So I ran HPUCDSilent.exe and sure enough, it didn't silently install. So I grabbed the same SoftPaq from hp.com, ran HPUCDSilent.exe and it installed silently! So there is something weird with the installer the HP Image Assistant downloads and runs. Here's a video showing the difference:

https://youtu.be/Thxtp3ZSjcg

I noticed the not-silent install leaves a log file hpqRun.log:

2018/03/30 09:29:06.263|000028A0|Information|WinMain|Command Line:"C:\SWSetup\SP79651\hpqRun.exe"
2018/03/30 09:29:06.278|000028A0|Information|FindMappingFile|Found C:\SWSetup\SP79651\MAP.INI file
2018/03/30 09:29:06.278|000028A0|Information|FindSectionName|Found [USB_ID] section in INI file
2018/03/30 09:29:06.278|000028A0|Information|FindKeyID|Found SECTION: [USB_ID]
2018/03/30 09:29:06.278|000028A0|Information|FindSectionAndKeyStrings|INI section name to read:  USB_ID
2018/03/30 09:29:06.294|000028A0|Information|FindSectionAndKeyStrings|INI key name to read:  USB\VID_04F2&PID_B595
2018/03/30 09:29:06.294|000028A0|Information|GetTargetExecutable|Target Executable = Realtek\setup.exe
2018/03/30 09:29:06.294|000028A0|Information|GetTargetExecutable|Cannot find this ID [USB\VID_04F2&PID_B595] in MAP.INI file
2018/03/30 09:29:06.294|000028A0|Information|ExecuteCmd|g_szTargetExecutable: Realtek\setup.exe, g_szCmdLineParms = 
2018/03/30 09:29:06.356|000028A0|Information|ExecuteCmd|Launch executable: Realtek\setup.exe successfully
2018/03/30 09:29:15.007|000028A0|Information|ExecuteCmd|Executable process returns with exit code = 0x0
2018/03/30 09:29:15.023|000028A0|Information|WinMain|Completed, Return Code: 0

This tool is absolutely a godsend to SCCM admins. I can't thank HP enough for creating such a versatile tool! I'm happy to help you guys with any additional information.

Please feel free to call, email or schedule a screen share session. 

Thanks

-Ted

PS. I would love a feature that would allow the Thunderbolt dock software/drivers to install without having to physically attach the dock when running HP Image Assistant.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

There is obviously something wrong with either HPIA or the deliverable.

Please follow the link below to contact HP Technical Support so that a case can be created for your issue.  This will allow for your issue to be documented, the proper folks contacted and you then you can track the issue.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/product/hp-zbook-15-g4-mobile-workstation/14840009

Joel

I am an HP Employee.

If you like my post, click the thumbs up.
HP Recommended

Has this issue been addressed yet?  It has been a problem for since HPIA has been out, it would be nice to see it addressed.  Right now, the work-around that we have been using is to install the camera drivers manually in the task sequence with a package first, and that prevents HPIA from trying to install them silently.

HP Recommended

Brahm - that's what I'm doing too. I've also had to do this for BIOs updates since HPIA doesn't support using a password file.

HP Recommended

Your issue has been passed to development.  The issue is with the Universal Camera Driver and the space in the exetutable path.  In your video you will notice that when you execute the SoftPaq from directory C:\SWSETUP\SP79651 there are no spaces in the path.  It is believed the spaces in the path are causing silent installation to not execute silently.

Other drivers are not having this problem.

I do not have an ETA on when this will be corrected.  I will continue to monitor this issue and post updates as they are available.

Joel

I am an HP Employee.

If you like my post, click the thumbs up.
HP Recommended

HPImageAssistant.exe
/Operation:Analyze
/Catagory:All
/Selection:All
/Action:Install
/SoftpaqDownloadFolder:C:\HPIA
/Silent

Are you sure that the spelling is not "Category" ???

HP Recommended

Wow, good catch mdklassen! That explains why it was installing BIOS even when the category wasn't specified. IMO that should have thrown a syntax error. I should also learn to spell. Thanks again.

This is another one. Synaptics Mouse Driver. SP84139 on an 840 G2 Win10Entx64.

synaptics.JPG

There was an Intel NIC driver error I noticed on a few Elite minis. I'll see if I can make it pop up again.

HP Recommended

First off, I really want to thank everybody from this forum, and I am going to summarize the mistakes I made and the help that I received here, along with my (almost) final solution.  

The first mistake that I made was that I don't know how to spell category, as I was spelling it catagory.  English is my first language btw :LaughingTears:

The second mistake that I made is that I wasn't extracting the .exe and running it's contents, I was trying to run those switches against the original .exe, which was obviously not doing anything.  I ended up installing it on a local machine, and then taking the C:\sp***** folder and copying it onto the network, another derp mistake.  

Now that I have all that working, I also have something to offer that hasn't been yet mentioned on this posts.  In order to keep it from freezing up on the camera drivers, simply install the camera drivers first in a task sequence manually, until a fix is made.  Then, in your HPIA script, simply taskkill any of the camera driver processes, just in case, to keep it from freezing.  In the end, the script will look something like this:

Start /wait \\ServerLocation\AppLocation\HPImageAssistant.exe /Operation:Analyze /Category:All /Selection:All /Action:Install /SoftpaqDownloadFolder:C:\HPIA /Silent

TASKKILL /F /"IM setup.exe"

TASKKILL /F /"IM DxSetup.exe"

Then, you make a package without a program, run a command line in the task sequence calling out the script and check the package box, and viola!

Thanks again to everyone for help on the derp! stuff 😄

HP Recommended

I've got another one that isn't working from the HPIA, neither silently nor through the console.

Model: HP Elitebook 840 G3

SP87435 - Intel Corporate Management Enginer (ME) Firmware Component, Version 11.8.50.3470

It appears to be a "broken" link, the error under the details section of the HPIA report shows the following:

"The remote server returned an error: (404) not found."

Has anyone else seen this yet?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.