Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello All.

We are trying to update our BIOS on our systems without user interaction.

I understand how to use the HpqPswd.exe and the HPBIOSUPDREC.exe.

I can stop and reboot from happening but when we reboot the machine I'd expect the BIOS to automatcially flash by using the proper command line.

Here is what the help file will list.

HPBIOSUPDREC.exe [-s] [-pPasswordFile] [-fROMBINFile] [-a] [-h] [-b] [-?]

-s: Slient mode
-p: Specify encrypted file

-f: Specify ROMBINfile

-a: (Silent Mode Only) Always Flash, ignore version comparison
-r: Do not reboot
-h: Create HPTOOLS partition if needed
-b: Suspend BitLocker if needed
-?: Help

The command I'm passing wtih the -a I would expect it to automatcially flash without pompting the user with options.

HPBIOSUPDREC.exe -s -p "TempPass.bin" -f "N86_0113.bin" -a -h -b

So what happens is after the reboot just after post or during POST, it will prompt the user these four options.

• Update Bios
  • Rollback Bios
  • Postpone
  • Cancel

I don't want the users to be prompted, I just want it to flash the BIOS at this point.  That is what I thought the "-a" was for.  Is there a way to just flash the BIOS without giving the users options?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @TheInfamousOne,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you need assistance with your HP Laptop. Don't worry I'll be glad to help you with this.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Could you provide me with the exact model of the PC? Use this link to find it:  https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03754824  (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Have you tried to follow the steps from HP Article? HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS

If you are havnig issues updating the Bios, then I would suggest here is to either rollback or do a Bios recovery

Click here for Instructions on Performing a Bios Recovery

Could you please respond to this post with the details of the product and with the results of the troubleshooting for further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

> -a: (Silent Mode Only) Always Flash, ignore version comparison

I would expect that using '-a' could cause an INCORRECT update to be flashed into the BIOS, by NOT PREVENTING a "wrong" BIOS-file to be used.

The wording seems to imply that '-s' will NOT show the "prompting" messages.  Maybe.

HP Recommended

Hi,

please try the command line:

HPBIOSUPDREC.exe -s -pPassword-Path\password-file -fROM-Path\bin-file -r  -wmi

-s Silent mode. Runs without any user interaction or output.

-ppassword-file  Specifies encrypted password file created with the HpqPswd utility.

-fBIN-file Specifies the path to the .BIN image file

-r Requires -s. Do not reboot after flash

-wmi Force online flash, without using UEFI or HP Utility partition

This command line update the BIOS without any user interaction. It is tested within a MS SCCM task sequence and valid for BIOS Update Sofpaqs which are containing HPBIOSUPDREC.exe or HPBIOSUPDREC64.exe

Please be aware that the BIOS Update may run several minutes and may show a black screen for about a minute depending on the hardware platform

HP Recommended

Hi, how can I update an HP bios silently, without the bios recovery partition?  The -wmi option does not work.  The only way seem to be interactively.  I have to enter the password, but then on reboot I have to enter the password a second time at the bios screen.  Then it works, but it makes a new drive in windows.

HP Recommended

Ok, I finally figured out how to silent install the hp bios after a year.  I just have to let it shrink the C: drive and make the E: drive, and then undo it after it's over.  Plus, the password file gets deleted every time, so if I run it from a file share I have to make the password file again.  This has been an uphill battle.

install.bat:

rem the fireware update bin is in the same directory

rem pass.bin gets deleted every time

rem the -h and -r options are not documented in HpFirmwareUpdRec.txt,

rem I got them from HpFirmwareUpdRec64.exe -?

start /wait HpFirmwareUpdRec64.exe -s -ppass.bin -h -r

set err=%errorlevel%

copy /y HpFirmwareUpdRec64.log c:\users\admin

rem will reboot on my own
if %err%==3010 set err=0

exit /b %err%

delete-e.bat:

rem after it's done, delete the E: drive

diskpart /s delete-e.txt

where delete-e.txt is:

select volume=e
delete volume
select volume=c
extend

HP Recommended

How is your partition layout?

Only a C-drive? or also an additional partition for extra storage?

E.g. C-drive for Windows (and program files and the likes) and a D-drive for my documents, downloads and other files? (hence the E-Drive is the HP Tool partition?

I take it the HP Tool partition needs to stay in place if you want to be able to update the bios and/or setting in the future?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.