Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Other
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

It was suggested by Sandisk/WDC that I use your utility 'HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool to correct an MBR fault on my 32GB Sandisk Cruzer Dial USB key. Upon opening the utility with Administrator priviledges, my Acronis Active Protection warned me

of possible ransomware detection, so I backed off using it. There was also a message before this indicating the USB drive was write-protected. All I wanted to do was recapture the 32GB capacity from the now MBR capacity of 1.99GB, which got that

way when I was trying to create rescue media using Acronis True Image 2019, which abended in the process.

Bear in mind, the ransomware warning pointed to the HP utility, but you'll remark how Acronis was at both ends of this 😞

Interestingly, up popped the Windows formatting utility, which I ran with success.

I just wanted to pass this along, and it may be a red herring.  However, you never want to ignore ransomeware warnings!

I almost hate myself for registering a complaint over software HP was bringing to my aid.

-Frederick

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.