Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy 5646
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I wish to draw to your attention an email I received yesterday purporting to be from Henry_Tech, Subject: HP Helpdesk in apparent response to a topic I posted earlier here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-Faxing-and-Copying/Scan-image-only-using-HP-Scan-and-Capture/...:

Hello silvermapper,
You've received a private message in the HP Support Forum.
Be alert for fraudulent messages
Be alert for scammers who may be posing as HP support representatives. Only call numbers from people who have a label next to their screen name. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on the blue "Report Inappropriate Content" button above the message in the Private Message portion of the Community. Thank you!
Subject: HP Helpdesk
Note:
Dear Customer,
We really appreciate for your concern regarding your HP Product. But its hard to provide you the appropriate solution for this issue in community. In order to get easy and hassle free HP Technical support for you peripherals. Kindly call +1-888-242-9613 (US/Canada) & +44-020 3289 7008 (UK) for assistance.

I contacted the UK telephone number. The person who replied seemed rather vague about my issue and asked me to go to my computer. He gave me a .url to enter. I realised, then, that he planned to take control of my PC. I informed him I would not allow him to do that, but would be willing to follow his instructions. The 'phone went dead following a few minutes more conversation.

I post this message in case it was not a legitimate email and telephone number. I should not wish others to be tricked.
http://uk.whocalledme.net/PhoneNumber/02032897008 has an entry telling of a similar apparent scam yesterday .

I should welcome advice on where better to send this information.

With regards
Bob Hawkins

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@silvermapper

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We have taken the appropriate action on this user's account.

I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@silvermapper

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We have taken the appropriate action on this user's account.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Just recieved a similar message regarding my problem:

Beware of fake HP Support
Be alert for scammers who may be posing as HP representatives and only call numbers from people who have a label next to their screen name. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on the blue “Report Inappropriate Content” button above the message. Thank you!

Dear Customer,

We really appreciate for your concern regarding your HP Product. But its hard to provide you the appropriate solution for this issue in community. In order to get easy and hassle free HP Technical support for you peripherals. Kindly call +1-888-242-9613 (US/Canada) & +44-020 3289 7008 (UK)for assistance.

Thanks & Regards
HP Helpdesk.

HP Recommended

@oursteve

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We have taken care of this user.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I have just received the same e-mail from help-techie.

Dear Customer,

We really appreciate for your concern regarding your HP Product. But its hard to provide you the appropriate solution for this issue in community. In order to get easy and hassle free HP Technical support for you peripherals. Kindly call +1-818 660 0765 (US/Canada) & +44-020 3289 7008 (UK) for assistance.

Thanks & Regards
HP Helpdesk.

Please fix this because I was about to follow the instructions.

HP Recommended

No 'apparent'  about it. I'm not sure action has  been taken by HP.

I just received the same messages today  and 'almost got got' by this scam scumbag. How did he get my email in the first instance? Isn't it supposed to be 'private'?

HP Recommended

@StewCall wrote:

No 'apparent'  about it. I'm not sure action has  been taken by HP.

I just received the same messages today  and 'almost got got' by this scam scumbag. How did he get my email in the first instance? Isn't it supposed to be 'private'?

The scammers create a fake user account, then send you a private message.  The message gets delivered by the HP system to your email address, although the scammer does not see your email address.  You can find the original message by clicking on the envelope in the upper right when you are logged into the forum.

Please do that, and click on the subject line to open the message.  At this point there is an option to Report Inappropraite Content.  Please  click on that and report the message to the moderators so they can deal with the user.  I will also send you a message and ask that you forward me a copy of the scammers email.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I'm not sure if these kinds of regulations are already in place but why can't we forbid usernames with keywords such as "helpdesk" or "tech" or "HP"? 

And then usernames with less suspicious keywords can be subject to monitoring under the moderators. 

IDK maybe the forum already has these capabilities but I've been receiving quite a few of these "HP Helpdesk" messages. 

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

@kem579 wrote:

I'm not sure if these kinds of regulations are already in place but why can't we forbid usernames with keywords such as "helpdesk" or "tech" or "HP"? 

And then usernames with less suspicious keywords can be subject to monitoring under the moderators. 

IDK maybe the forum already has these capabilities but I've been receiving quite a few of these "HP Helpdesk" messages. 

I will be sending you a request in private messageing, I would like to get copies of the fake users messages.  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended
I received one of these today and promptly reported it.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.