Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

There doesn't appear to be a forum for issues regarding HP's website, so I'll post this here...

When I try to download files from the site using IE7, I get a MS error message: "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"

This is because HP sources those files from an ftp server, and IE7 (unlike IE6) will not connect to ftp addresses.  

What is HP's solution?

esource

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
1.  Go to Advanced under Internet Options and use the "Reset" feature button to reset all settings to default...

Then try this page for more help.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended
It connects just fine for nearly everyone...you've got a software/protocol issue with your computer that needs to be repaired (unless the links are down). 
HP Recommended

Hi Kalt

For the not-nearly-everyone, including me, any suggestions?

In IE7, Tools, IE Options, Advanced I have ticked “Enable FTP folder view (outside of Internet Explorer)”, and unticked “Use Passive FTP”. In Windows Explorer I have set Tools, Folder Options, File Types, URL:File Transfer Protocol to explorer.exe., ticked “Use DDE”, and left “DDE Message” and “DDE Application Not Running” boxes blank. These settings are supposed to allow ftp file sites to be opened in Windows Explorer (or ftp downloads to be made) from clicking links in IE.

An example of a download that gives the error message is ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software6/COL13497/oj-37641-1/GdiplusUpgrade_Rev1.1.exe. If I enter just ftp://ftp.hp.com in either IE7 or WE, I get the message “FTP Folder Error” in a WE page, but I could use File, Log In if I had access. It’s just the file downloads that don’t work – even if I add the URL above directly into WE.

HP Recommended
I have IE7 and downloaded updates for my printer without any trouble a couple weeks age.  Downloaded new softwear today that went well. the thing I am seeing going on it the IE7 stops responding/closes and restarts.  Whats with that??
HP Recommended
Guess I should have said that IE7 stops responding when I have 2/3 tabs open not while downloading.  SORRY
HP Recommended
1.  Go to Advanced under Internet Options and use the "Reset" feature button to reset all settings to default...

Then try this page for more help.
HP Recommended
ok, did that and it seems to be working much better now.  thank you very much
HP Recommended
To close the loop...

This was a reply in another forum:

Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:
>
> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
> following target path:
>
> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"  -extoff
>
> If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
> of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.
>
Leonard

My response was:

I'd never heard of IE (No Add-Ons) - that's very helpful.  I tried it:
> however, it took forever to load finally an error page. I was so ticked off,
> I reset all Tools,InternetOptions,Security zones to default, and Advanced to
> default too - and the download worked!
>
> Now all I have to do is figure out which non-default settings I really want
> back...

HP Recommended

I have had this problem for some time in both IE7 and Firefox, although Chrome would work.  Using HTTP:// instead of FTP:// was a workaround for me.  I stumbled across an issue in my router's firewall that was blobking things, and later came across HP's web page here that lists some workarounds.

Regards,

Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  I couldn't  find "HP Uninstaller". How to find?

Thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.