Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I tried to delete this added laptop that HP repair added to my HP assistant page in my HP Device section but it keeps getting added back as a 2nd device. Someone from support even deleted the 2nd device and it still keeps getting added back .I want to know how to permanently remove this device

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@surfergirl10 

If you are referring to the Device list in the HP Support Assistant, then it is correct method to remove the device is to sign into HP Support Assistant (using your HP Account credentials), Click on your account (top left column or top right corner depending on the version):  Remove the device from the list (X).

What else?

You might have better luck logging directly into your HP Account.

After you log in, Click on your account name > My Dashboard

Tab My Devices

The method is the same - click on the X (last column) of the device you want to remove.

HP Account - Login / Dashboard

Note:  Log into your HP Account if / when you need central access to your device information, including the ability to update your personal  information.

What else?

If you are running the version of the HP Support Assistant that resides in Programs and Features

Try completely uninstalling the HPSA and its companion software > HP Support Solutions Framework.

When asked, confirm to have your personal data removed from the software.

Restart the computer and log in

Open the HPSA website > Download-save-install a fresh copy of the HP Support Assistant.

The "companion" software will install automatically with the HPSA...

Restart the computer and log in

Download, Save, Install the latest supported HP version of the HP Support Assistant

Website / Information / Video / White Paper / Download

HP Support Assistant

Partial excerpt from the Website:

“Ready to go on your HP PC

HP Support Assistant is included on new HP desktop and notebook PCs. You can install it on PCs from other manufacturers for easy access to support resources and tools for HP printers and PCs. Click the ? icon on your system tray to start HP Support Assistant or download now. During setup, selected new HP PC models running Windows 10 will receive version 9. All other PC models will receive version 8.”

==================================================================

What else?

Not sure.

Any non-existent device should not be "adding" into the list.

Is this device actually on your network or attached by a cable somewhere on your network?

If yes,

Then that might be causing the odd response.

A guess...

Remove the device from the Dashboard > My Devices list

Next

Shut off Network discovery in Windows

Control Panel > icon view > Network and Sharing Center

Change  advanced sharing settings >

Beneath Private (current profile) >

Network Discovery

Turn off network discovery

The "Off" setting disables Turn on automatic setup of network connected devices

Click Save Changes

Restart the computer and log in - check for any difference.

Note that even if this works, shutting off Network discovery might need to be switched on later - for example, when you are trying to detect / add a device to your Windows environment.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.