Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello

My name is Karthik . I am Graduate Student in Computer Engineering & needed a stable laptop to use for my studying and project work. I chose HP because I believed it was a quality product given the reputation the company has built over the years. I was proven wrong. Thrice. Let me explain. I bought HP dv2988se pavilion notebook about 7 months ago in August 2008. Little did i know that it would be a nightmare with this piece of junk. In December 2008 i faced a host of problems. My laptop was not booting and was giving blue screen error. I ran memory diagnostic tool test,hard disk test and tried booting in safe mode and doing a system restore but nothing helped. I ended up buying HP restore disks for a sum of  $29 which is generally spent on food expenses for a month, when I was misguided by a HP call centre technical support guy who apparently convinced me that it would fix my problem (all this happened within the warranty period). I chose to buy the Restore disks to make sure my study was not interupted again. Later when it dint not fix my problem i was asked to return the laptop for  repair. I got my laptop back after 10 days in January 2009 and in the report they mentioned telling that my hard disk was replaced. 2 Months down the line in March 1st week again i faced the same problem. I carried out all the diagnostic tests again and also tried to restore the system using HP discs (which i was made to buy unnecessarily) but again it dint solve my problem either. Though I spoke to Mr L.Richard-my case manager, and asked him to replace/refund my laptop  he suggested that a change in mother board this time would definitely fix the problem. Again i was made to go through the agony of sending the laptop and this time i was just praying that it would fix my problem (all happening in the middle of my exams and project submissions). I thought they'll take my case seriously and ensure that I will not be affected for a third time. They sent my laptop within a week  on 20 th march 2009. In the report that i got from HP , it was mentioned that my RAM was replaced and OperatingSystem was restored. When i switched on my laptop i was shocked to find out that my OS was changed from 64 bit to 32 bit and my RAM was reduced from 4GB to 3GB. When i contacted my case manager Mr L. RICHARD to enquire  about it he was not sure why it happened but later said that it happened because of a MISTAKE (though I was asked hundreds of times to give out details of my product number,serial number,OS type and so on during the process). I asked him to replace my laptop again but he said that it cannot be done because of replacement warranty issue. Now again i have to wait for my laptop to be sent and fixed and returned. In my case since I was able to point out the difference immediately I was able to get back to them to enquire about this matter,but what if a lay man who doesn’t have much knowledge about computers face the same issue of cheating . Probably it would go unnoticed.? For more deatils contact me at [Personal Information Removed]

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums. This forum is to leave feedback and suggestions directly relating to these message boards. If you have feedback for HP about their products or services, please use the link below:

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/wwcontact_us.html

This is a user-to-user community, and not a venue to receive direct help or feedback from HP. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to send me a Private Message.

Thanks!

• Clicking the "Kudos star" to the left is a great way to say thanks!

• When your problem has been solved, accept the solution by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button to help other members in the future!

Rules of Participation
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.