Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion

This is a warning about the extended warranty care packages that HP sells with their products.

Do not buy these extended warranties as HP is engaging in deceptive and misleading business practices for the warranties.

Short version:

HP is making it almost impossible to get the warranties activated for the products purchased. After 3 calls to HP the warranties are still not activated. If I had not noticed that they had not been activated the factory warranty would have expired and the $400 I spent on the extended care plan would have amounted to nothing.

Longer version:

I purchased two HP Pavilion laptops from HP.com last November. On the same order I added two 3-year extended care packages, one for each laptop.

After placing the order I received an email from HP which read in part:

"Congratulations on the purchase of your HP Care Pack or Post Warranty Plan ... HP registers the service on your behalf and will send a confirmation email with start and end dates of coverage typically within 3-4 weeks from time of purchase."

I did not receive an email and when I happened to check on the warranty about a month ago I noticed it only had the factory warranty listed.

I contacted HP support and the support agent said the warranties had not been registered with the laptops, even though the email I had received said they would be, and that I had to go to a separate website to register the warranties to the laptops.

I went to said website and registered both laptops by providing the serial numbers, purchase dates, receipts etc. and after each registration it said something to the effect of 'thanks, an email confirmation will be sent to you within 3 - 4 weeks'.

3 weeks later I had still not received any email and the warranty check still showed only the factory warranty.

Next I called the 'HP extended care' department and asked why the warranties had not been registered originally and why they were still not showing as registered after filling out the registrations on the site. The agent had no explanation for why they had not been automatically registered and said there was some issue with the registrations from their site, but that he would be able to correct them. He claimed to have done so and that I would be able to see the extended warranty in effect within a day or two.

That was 3 days ago and the warranty check still only shows the factory warranty for both laptops.

So not only did HP not register the extended warranties with the laptops after the purchase, even though they said they would, they also did not do so after me filling out the forms on their site, and they also did not do so after me talking to them in person even though the agent explicitly said they had been activated.

If this is not deceptive and malicious I do not know what is. 

These were the first two HP computers I have bought in a long time. I typically buy Dells and I have never had an issue with the extended warranties from them, they always get automatically registered after the purchase, as one would expect.

No more HP computers for me going forward.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @abc123565675675,

Welcome to the HP Support Community.  

For extended warrenty, I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer. 

HP Customer Support - Product Warranty Check

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.   

Have a great day!  

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HP Recommended

Praveen, please read my post again.

The laptops are still under manufacturer warranty. The issue is that I purchased HP Care Packs for the laptops on the same order, ten months ago, and HP is continuously failing to activate these warranties for the laptops even though I have reached out to support on 3 different occasions and have received direct assurances that the warranties have been activated.

Not to mention that I should not have to do any of this. When I buy an extended warranty for a laptop on the same order as the laptop, the warranty should be automatically activated. The email sent to me from HP after having placed the original order said as much.

I had a HP Care Pack support representative tell me in person over the phone that the warranties had now for sure been activated but the warranty check page still shows that to not to be the case. When your support representatives directly lie to your customers something is seriously wrong.

HP is engaging in deceptive business practices for the extended care packs, charging money for a product that they then go out of their way  to make sure their customers do not actually get what they paid for.

HP Recommended

Thank you for waiting! I understand your concern and to help you out, I have escalated your concern to HP's Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options (if any). 

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding Holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 

Please send us a Private Message, if you aren't contacted within 4-5 business days.  

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

And Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" on my public post, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.