Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-questions/Customer-Support/td-p/475141

I own a dv9535nr HP laptop.  As with many other HP laptops, this product experienced video problems (streaks, lines) which eventually deteriorated into blue screens, then blacks screens and failure to boot.  If you google "problems" with this model number or any HP laptops in the 6000 or 9000 series you'll find numerous problems just like this.  To solve this HP instituted an extended warranty program (but only for selected models which did not include the dv9535nr).  When I inquired about an extended warranty for my machine, I was surprised by the response.

This post is about customer service and HP record-keeping, not about extended warranties.

When I talked to a representative at customer support (and, then, a supervisor) I was told that unequivocally that no one had reported these symptoms for a dv9535nr.  Since I had found numerous such problems on the internet, I was surprised.  Just to be sure, I repeated the question (Are you sure I'm the only one to report this problem?) several times and got the same response from both people.  Because no one had reported this before, according to the representative, the dv9535nr did not qualify for an extended warranty.

I then spoke to a "case manager" and asked the same question.  I asked her to check with technical support, since there were numerous problems listed for the dv9535nr.  (Note:  if you do google for these problems, you'll see numerous cases where the complainant provided a link to this forum.  If you try the links, you'll find that they've all benn wiped from the forum.)  The case manager told me that they work in a different department and don't communicate with technical support, and, therefore, would not call technical support to answer my question. 

This seemed odd, since it's the cas manager who is supposed to resolve customer issues.  So, I asked for a corporate number.

When I called the corporate number I talked with an "executive customer support" person.  She told me that all she could do is document my concern/question and send it back to a case manager.  According to this person, the case manager is the "senior" technical support person and has all the authority to resolve customer issues.  (This, of course, is contrary to what the case manager told me.)  The "executive customer support" could not investigate and get back to me.  Nor would she provide a name of anyone in executive management.  Finally, she told me that there was a good chance that no one would get back with me to resolve my question, since all resolution was up to case managers and the case manager I talked with wouldn't answer my question.

So, here's the issue:

I presume that all the reps I talked with are telling me the truth.  Since I am the first to report this symptom set to HP for the dv9535nr (which contradicts all the information on the internet as well as the deleted links on HP's forum) this must mean that HP does not record customer problems.  And, therefore, they cannot track hardware issues sufficiently to know if there is a generic problem with a particular model.

As a retired executive, this circular customer service resolution process is particularly disturbing.  Effective customer service (and employee concerns, as well) should alway end with a report back to the person who raises the issue/question.  And, there should always be some recourse to executive management.

Since it was made clear to me that it was unlikely that anyone at HP would respond to me, I'm posting this issue on the forum in hopes that a responsible HP executive will take an interest.  What should be of concern is that (according to what I was repeatedly told) absolutely no concerns about the dv9535nr reported to HP were retained.  Without this information, how can HP monitor the performance of its laptops and identify generic issues that require resolution?  The secondary issue is the lack of recourse in customer support (i.e., all the "executive customer support" people do is take down the same information that you gave to a case manager, and, eventually, send it back to a case manager to resolve), as well as no responsibility for anyone to report back to the customer about resolution.

I've written this issue respectfully and in accordance with the rules of this forum.  I hope that it remains on the forum and, as I said, an HP executive finds it of sufficient concern to respond and improve HP's customer issue resolution process.

Mike

To assist HP in following up on this question, I should have included the relevant customer service reference numbers.

The calls all occurred on 1/13 and 1/14/2011.  The technical service "ticket #" is 8046548006.  The case manager case number is 7501787019.  I was told that all conversations were recorded and available for review.

Mike

Wendy M - HP Support Forums Moderator

Click the Kudos star as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
Be sure to come back and click the 'Accept as Solution' button on the post that solved your issue - it may help someone else.

Rules of Participation

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

01/18/11 - We will not reach out to customer.  sv

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.