Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
DesignJet 4000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I replaced the carriage belt today and them reassembled the printer. The first thing I tried to print it started to pour black ink out all over the floor ruining the carpet and a pair of shoes. I ran the printhead cleaner and that ran through, but it gave me an error when I tried to realign. Any ideas as to what the problem could be? Should I replace the print heads? I need a new cartridge, it used all of the black one up. Thanks in advance for any help.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Did the ink leak mainly occur on the left hand side where the cartridges are or on the right hand side where the printheads park?

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended

It’s on the right side by the print heads. 

HP Recommended

I don't think it's the printhead since it usually won't pour out of the nozzles like that, enough to empty the ink tank.  Usually there's a break in the ink line and little elbow where the printhead is inserted into.  May have gotten broken when you put the printhead in.  I've done that before.

If you don't have a service manual for the printer (not user manual) you can google "Designjet 4000 Service Manual" and download one for free.  It will show you in detail where the ink line goes to the printhead.  Then you can decide if you can just repair the carriage part that's broken/leaking or replace the whole ink system.  LPS Computer I think sells them.  Good company.  They can maybe get you just the parts you need also.  If you're kinda' handy, it's something you can do yourself.  Feel free to come back here to ask more questions.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.