Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP DesignJet T130 24-in Printer
Microsoft Windows 11

We have a HP DesignJet T130 that is connected to our network using Wi-Fi and we use the WDS printing protocol as we find in convenient to install the printer for all our users.

For some reason, after the printer has been on for a few days, the printer shows as offline. The printer has a static IP address, and I can use the web management page with no problem, so I know the printer is still connected to the network.

The only way to get the WDS port to work again is to either restart the printer or disable and re-enable WDS in the printer management page.

I have checked the firmware and is up-to-date. Anyone else seeing this?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Do not use WDS, it is so unreliable with computers failing to detect when a printer comes back online after being asleep of having a jam. Configure your driver to use a standard TCP/IP port and your problems will likely disappear.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

WDS only seems to be unreliable on this device. Within the company, we also have Olivetti photocopiers that we use WDS to install the printers for all users and this works flawlessly, and they never go off-line.

It's frustrating, as I have a HP all-in-one at home that I use WDS and that does the same thing. It just seems to be HP's implementation of WDS that's the problem.

I don't want to use TCP/IP as we will have to reconfigure multiple workstations if anything changes and WDS is just too convenient. Looks like I would just have to keep this in mind when making future purchases.

HP Recommended

After assessing what it is happening with packets on the network, it seems the plotter just stop broadcasting its availability. Even though it's still connected to the network. The time it takes to do this from a cold boot seems to be random. It would last a few weeks, and then stop and sometimes it would only last a few days. 

This suggests to me that part of the plotter's firmware is crashing and only by rebooting or disabling/re-enabling the service seems to get it working again. I noticed that the last released firmware had an update to the network stack, but obviously didn't fix this issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.