Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about cartridges, Click here to check it out!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
DesignJet Z6200

My Z6200 initializes and gets an 86:01 error.  Paper jam and Scan Axis error.  How can I get further, more accurate error codes to narrow down the problem?   There is no paper jam and the X-Axis belt and encoder are new.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

An 86.01 error occurs when the carriage axis motor (the motor the moves the printhead assembly) shuts down because it cannot move the carriage freely. If you have the error on the screen and the head is not parked, pull the power cord and try to move the carriage manually. If it does not move freely then 1 or 2 below will be the likely issue. If it moves freely and the belt is not torn, look at #3

Most common causes:

1. Paper jammed under the starwheels causing the carriage to bind

2. Failed drive belt that moves the carriage

3. Dirty or damaged encoder strip. Cleaning the encoder strip is one of the first things I would try if the above two inspections do not reveal any issues. Encoder strip is a mylar strip that runs across the inside of the carriage and is used by the brains to keep track of where the carriage is. It is VERY SHARP so use caution. Gently clean with a soft lint free cloth dampened with a 2 drops of alcohol and then diluted with water from a spray bottle. Pure alcohol will damage the strip and less is better than too much. Clean the strip until no more ink comes off and then let it try. 

4. If there is a lack of lubrication on the metal carriage rod that can cause a problem as well. There is a special oil that is used for the carriage rod and I cannot make any recommendation beyond getting the correct lubricant. 

To get more troubleshooting information I would suggest you find the service manual online and run the diagnostics for the carriage board and the scan axis motor.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Kudos to Repairatrooper for help with the Z6200 86:01 error.  Unfortunately, the axis drive belt  is new, as is the mylar encoder strip.  The carriage moves freely the whole distance of the bar.  The big help was reminding me to download the service manual and try different diagnostic procedures.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.