Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Designjet T1120

We recently moved office locations.  When setting up the plotter at the new location, the plotter would not power on.  We have ordered and replaced the power supply and now the plotter will turn on; however, unfortunately, the plotter will not full boot.  On the display, we see the HP logo screen for a short period of time and then an Initializing message with a slowly spinning hour glass for a short period time and the cycle seems to repeat.  I can get into the diagnostic menu; but, when running many/most of the diagnostic options, I end up back in the same boot loop cycle described on power up.   I never get to a point where there is an error message of any sort on the screen.  Any advice on next steps for troubleshooting?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

On the back of the machine, where the power switch is located, are there any LED lights?  They would be near the socket where the USB cable plugs in.  If so, are they on steady or are they blinking?  You might try reseating the formatter board.  It's the piece that's held in by a couple thumb screws and where you would plug in the USB cable.  Loosen the thumb screws, pull straight up gently and slide the formatter board out.  (Unplug the power before doing this.)  Then gently slide it back into it's slot and tighten the thumb screws.  Plug in the printer and turn on the power switch.  Watch what the LED lights do.

Do a google search on Designjet T1140 for the Service Manual.  It will explain the LED lights and the blinking pattern.  There are also diagnostics you can run that should tell you if the formatter is ok.  Don't recall what they are off the top of my head but it's very well explained in the Service Manual.

Let us know what you find.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply.  I have read through the service manual and tried the troubleshooting suggestions to no avail.  As for the lights, the  power supply led is solid, and all three lights on the formatter board are on solid.  I have also pulled and reseated the formatter board.  Again, no luck.  I have also run the diagnostic mode.  The tests which complete all pass.  Those that don't complete, end up putting the plotter back into the boot loop ( HP logo then Initializing).

We have another similar plotter which is working normally and I watched it power on this evening.   I noticed that when the display changed from the HP logo to Initializing, I hear a couple of what sounds like motors  turning and maybe the printer heads moving.  On the malfunctioning plotter, I don't hear anything.  

Thanks again for any suggestions.

HP Recommended

Which diagnostic tests have you run successfully?

Which diagnostic tests are not completing?  

When they don't complete, what error message do they give, if any?

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.