Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Designjet Z6100PS 42in

I have been working on a HP Designjet Z6100.  It started getting a 08:11 error on it saying on the screen just the 08:11 Call Service as it was powering on.  I ordered a new Formatter for it and arrived to install it.  The user had turned it on shortly before that, and it was doing the power on process.  It came up fully, I checked the event logs and there are no 08:11 errors logged, and nothing recently has been on the logs since before it started.  When I arrived I was told that occasionally if it is turned off for a day or more it will come up as it did.  It successfully printed a couple jobs recently.  

But after printing off the log and checking it over, I powered the printer off then tried to power it on, I received the 08:11 error again.  It seems to just show a mostly blank screen with a border, then goto the 08:11.

I put the new Formatter in the printer and it still came up with the 08:11 error.  I am looking to order a replacement harddrive in for it, but it is on backorder so it will be a week or so till I get one.  Is there any other suggestion on the issue?  The manual doesn't seem to give a good indication of anything except "check cables", "replace this, then this, then this".   I was wondering if I should see about getting replacement memory as well, I didn't get exactly what type the memory was in the unit, if I have to order specific ram or if it is standard memory. 

The working after a day or a week of being off seems rather odd to me.  I have seen where some models atleast have some diagnostic leds on the boards does this model? and would that assist in narrowing it down?  Thanks for any help.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hey There, Im actually going through the same issue with the 08:11 error code.. Anyone solved this issue ? Don't mind please help me out with this. thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi,

found this:

Problem with communication between the Front Panel, the Formatter and the HDD.

-check this link:

https://printcopy.info/?l=en&mod=erc&brand=HP&model=DesignJet%20Z6100&code=08:11

-and this topic:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/DesignJet-Large-Format-Printers-and-Digital-Press/Error-Code-08-11/m-p...

Hope I helped 🙂

HP Recommended

After a day of doing all the check still stuck here 🤦🏼‍♂️ God help me ! 

HP Recommended

as I can see in forum link i've sent - good luck after all this torment. Nobody knows exact solution to this problem...

The bottom line says - rephrasing - After checking all the cables, all connectors, all non-flashing lights and etc. - Touch control panel causes more problems than HDD and formatter if able to print something....also PCA board is the same...

Sorry i didn't help much.

HP Recommended

In my case I put in a new formatter board and that was not the fault.   I then replaced the Harddrive and that solved the problem.  It was being slightly intermitent, where at times after being off for an extended time it would get past that error and fully startup apparently (which was not at the time communicated to me), it may then work for awhile but quit.

So it was a failing harddrive it seems, occassionally it would function well enough to boot, but that was very rarely.  The first thing that the service manual says is to replace the harddrive, which I had replaced the formatter first.   There are several causes, some being the front panel itself and hte cabling to it, it sounds like that is less likely.  It could also be the ram on the mainbard (formatter).  

The harddrive in this is either an old ide type or the newer ones are sata drives with a ide adapter card that goes on the mainboard/formatter board ide connector.  The drive in the one I was working on was already a sata drive with the adapter, but the new drive came with the adapter so I replaced it all.  When booting the first time I had and error.  After that it started booting and on that boot it apparently unpacked and installed it's special OS on the drive and configured the printer, it took quite awhile. After that was complete it came up and operated, after calibrations and such.  The harddrive while a standard drive does have to come with the HP data image on it so that it has what is essentially an Operating System for the plotter.  I purchased the parts through our HP parts distributer, who intern had them sent directly from HP to me.

HP Recommended

For most HP printers HDD's have OS installed, that's why you can't replace with just any HDD...Nice to see you solved the problem.

Best of luck and mileage of printing on 🙂

Best regards

Johnny

HP Recommended

Hello 

Just replace the HDD 

Like this one 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283248415709

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.