Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Designjet z6800

What do i need to do to fix this?

i have tried 4 cartridges and all the same i have changed the sensor and the upper board and still no change what should i proceed with next?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Are all four ink cartridges genuine HP cartridges?  Sometimes the aftermarket carts don't work due to the chips.  Not saying that's the problem but a good thing to know in order to help you.  Did this just start out of the blue or did you run out of ink and were just putting in a new cart?

Which board did you replace and what sensor?  If you have part numbers that's even better.

Also, what number of product are you using.  It looks like from the service manual they list three different possibilities depending on your region and firmware.  Here's a link to the service manual:  https://laserpros.com/img/manuals/hp-manuals/hp-designjet-z6200-z6600-z6800-service-manual.pdf

Maybe check the product number on the box and check your firmware and we might be able to help chase down the problem.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended

So couple things id like to address.

firstly we began using all real ink expired as indicated on machine.

It ran smooth till it needed a cartridge change we changed it no problems. Then randomly as we bought a test batch of a new cartridge set, we were testing them and the magenta suddenly stopped being detected. I requested a technician which costs a lot to bring and he let us know that it could be the whole tube assembly and that if you change the upper board it could work since it seems to have been static shocked. Afterwards we changed the sensor and changed the upper ink system board. It worked and now beeps when the ink is inserted. Unfortunately we have a new problem where the ink always shows as faulty ink cartridge and to replace. 

things tried:

update firmware

restart

unplug

tried 4 different cartridges

HP Recommended

What's the number on the cartridge that's showing as faulty?

Which sensor was replaced?

What's the version of the firmware you're using?

Can you install the last cartridge that worked?  If so, does the same fault happen?

Can you post a picture of the error message that pops up?

HP Recommended

1. the magenta tray

2. the sensor of the magenta tray

3. the version is - PTR8_03_07_06.1

4. I did and it does show the same error

IMG_1573 2.jpgIMG_1571 2.jpg

HP Recommended

Good.  Helpful info.

What's the number on the cartridge?  Can you post a pic of it?

HP Recommended

What number do you mean?

HP Recommended

Here's a link to the service manual:  https://laserpros.com/img/manuals/hp-manuals/hp-designjet-z6200-z6600-z6800-service-manual.pdf

771 (A, B or C)

773 (A, B or C)

According to the service manual the ink cartridge error will show up if you're using an incorrect cartridge for your region or your firmware.  The regions listed is too large to try to post here so you could go to the service manual under "Troubleshooting" and see the explanation there.  It's possible you have an incorrect cartridge for your printer.  Not saying that's the problem, just something you should double check before you replace parts.  The number should be in large letters on the side of the cartridge.  But it may not be the issue since you said you tried the old cartridge that DID work and it gave you the same message, correct?

Be a good idea to download the service manual anyway to have on hand.

HP Recommended

Hopefully someone else on the board will see this thread and add some other advice.

HP Recommended

771A

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.