Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP DesignJet Z3100
macOS 10.12 Sierra

Hi. I'm looking to download the latest firmware for the HP DesignJet Z3100 Photo Printer - I am currently running the TR12-TR 5.0.0.4 but understand the current version is 6.0.0.8.

I have searched online but cannot find the download page and the HP Utility link for the firmware does not work.

Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Solved!

From the link kindly supplied by Jack844 I was able to download TR12-MVL-U-7.0.0.3-7.exe (a Windows exe file). This file I extracted on a Linux machine using Archive Manager (can be done from a live DVD) giving me the TR12-MVL-U-7.0.0.3-7.fmw file ready to upload to the printer from the HP Utility.

All went very smoothly 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hmm, use the trick:

Go to link:

https://support.hp.com/rs-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-designjet-z3100-photo-printer-series/3204970

Select OS to Windows Server 2003

and download firmware, latest is 7.0.0.3-52.

CAUTION:

1. Read the firmware readme file before updating firmware.

2. Update HP Utility and driver to latest version after FW update

HP Recommended

Hi Jack844.

Many thanks - the file is there and I have downloaded it. I am a little worried though that being a Windows version it may cause problems if installed from Mac. Or are they one and the same file?

Cheers.

HP Recommended

Solved!

From the link kindly supplied by Jack844 I was able to download TR12-MVL-U-7.0.0.3-7.exe (a Windows exe file). This file I extracted on a Linux machine using Archive Manager (can be done from a live DVD) giving me the TR12-MVL-U-7.0.0.3-7.fmw file ready to upload to the printer from the HP Utility.

All went very smoothly 🙂

HP Recommended

Glad that you succeded in Your intention Olilynton!

Now some additional info for future readers of this posts.

For HP Designjet T610, T1100, T1120, Z2100, Z3100 and Z3200 firmware file has extension fmw.

File with this extension is used for firmware update using HP Utility or Printer's Embedded Web Server.

FMW file is internally digitally signed, so if signatures are not ok machine will simply reject it (if it is corrupted in transfer for example, machine will not upgrade itself with crappy file).

Also, good to know is that you can go to newer version but you cannot go back to earlier. Like in this case printer is updated to ver. 7.0.0.... and it cannot be downgraded to ver. 5.0.0...

HP Recommended

Hi Jack,

Do you still have a working link with this firmware? Tried for z3100 with Server 2003, XP, 10, etc and does not have the firmware.

Regards

HP Recommended
Spoiler

Take care of what model you have, for normal Z3100 use: 

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software10/COL22675/pl-59723-5/TR12-MVL-U-7.0.0.3-7.exe

but, if you have Z3100ps GP use this instead of previous:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software10/COL22677/pl-59726-3/TR12-TR12PS_07_00_00-3-2_mvl40-x86-opt...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.