Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
CN375A
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I'm trying to update the HP designjet T770 plotter firmware 

Mar 25, 2021

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-designjet-t770-printer-series/3980524

When I try to update it it gives me that the file is invalid

TT6-TTAJ_08_04_00.1_mvl40-x86-opt_B.signed.fmw: There were problems with the firmware file and the firmware update process has not been successful. The file you have selected may not be the right one or the problem may have been caused by a transmission error. Please, try the firmware update process again. If the problem persists, please contact HP Support.

I tried to upload it to a flash drive, but the problem remained  I need to update it because when I play drawings it starts plotting until it stops somewhere and cuts the drawing in the middle and discard the paper half drawing remains on the roll the other part falls unusable Can I pull another one from somewhere else or send it to me by e-mail I hope you can give me a solution otherwise I was already desperate

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I had the exact same updating firmware problem with a T770 I owned for a couple years and never did find a solution.  Read about it here:

https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/hp/160568-firmware-update-not-valid-file-error-message-designjet-...

Also applies to the T1200 since they are basically the same machine and even share a service manual.  When I try to upload new firmware to the T1200 I get the same error message as the T770.  I've since sold the T770 but still have the T1200.  No issues using the older firmware but no luck updating either.  Uses the same firmware as the T770, according to the HP website.

I've never heard back from the HP tech that was supposed to be investigating the firmware problem and if it's on HP's end, I doubt they will throw any manpower into a solution since the machines are so old now.

From what I've been told, the only thing the firmware update does is to fix a problem with displaying the correct date on your computer screen when using the EWS feature (Embedded Web Service?).  If you're unfamiliar with that feature, it allows you to put your ethernet address from the printer (displayed on the front panel when you connect the printer via ethernet cable) into your computer browser and it will display ink levels, supply useage and other facts about the printer.  So not sure the firmware upgrade is all that important.

As far an the early cutoff of the drawings you're experiencing, try downloading the driver from the HP website instead of using the Win 10 driver that automatically loads when you plug in the printer to the computer.  You will have to select an older operating system, like Win 7 or even XP to get to the driver because I don't think they offer a driver for Win 10.  I'm using the Win 7 driver and it works fine.   Then you have to manually add the driver by selecting "Have disk" when the selection window pops up.  Point it to the folder where you've unpacked the driver file and you should see a selection of printers.  Be sure to select the correct model like the PS driver if you'res is a PS machine.  Otherwise use the other driver. 

What software are you using for the drawings?  Does it do this on every type of file you try to print or just the graphics program you're using?  You might want to re-check your properties and preferences for the printer to be sure you have the correct paper settings selected.  I've never run into this particular problem  but paper size might have an effect on what you're seeing.

Also, be sure the date on the printer's front panel is correctly set.

Others may have similar experiences and can offer more insight.  This is only my experience from using/repairing HP printers for the past several years.  I don't work for HP, just a long time user.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended

ok if the problem is not in the firmware where can it be  Today I disconnected it from the mains, only the power cord remained And I failed to release a demo drawing from the menu of the plotter itself. He starts printing at the same time He starts printing and at the same time he starts cutting the drawing and removing the paper, he does it in different places. different places sometimes he doesn't even have anything to cut from the drawing but he starts to cut it and removes the paper that is loaded the paper that is loaded writes no paper to load to continue loading again and again the same goes cuts and removes the paper he starts cutting and removing the paper, so I thought the problem was in the firmware the current version is TT6-TTAJ_8.2.3.3 .. 

Has anyone had such a problem because I don't know what it is I tested all the sensors for no problems

I changed the hard drive with another one but there was no result

HEELPPP.

HP Recommended

I wish I could help more but like you, I have no idea where to go from here.  It was a good idea to disconnect the printer completely from the computer so at least you car rule out the driver causing the problem.  Hopefully someone who's experienced the same problem will chime in and give a solution or suggestions on what to try next.   Looking at the owner's manual shows no such problem that I could find.  I'll check the service manual next.

Did the hard drive you installed come with the firmware already loaded?

HP Recommended

Yes the hard drive came with a firmware I put it on and left the plotter. otherwise it is disconnected from the computer and network from a computer and a network, but nevertheless, when I give him a test print of a drawing from the menu, he starts printing and at some point cuts it and removes the paper. the paper and this is repeated and repeated ..really works but is unusable

HP Recommended

Have you tried printing a demo print from the front panel menu?  Not a cad file, but a file that came from the factory preloaded.  Should give you three choices of prints to make.  I believe there's a rendering print, a map print and a cad drawing.  Try one of those and not one that you've created.  If it prints the demo print succesfully then maybe you'll narrow down the problem.

Where did you buy the hard drive from?

Could maybe also be a line sensor problem too.  You can download a copy of the service manual by googling "Designjet T770 Service Manual".  Should be a PDF file.

Let us know what happens when you print the demo print.

HP Recommended

The first thing you need to do is to check if you installed the firmware in correct order, you can find the details on the HP Web Page under 'Installation Details', or check for details in .txt file. The issue with unexpected paper cutting should dbe solved with Paper Advance Calibration, if I undestood your#s problem description right. 

HP Recommended

to follow these instructions

Two firmware need to be installed following this order

1. TT6-TTAJ_08_02_03.3.90_mvl40-x86-opt_B.fmw
  2. TT6-TTAJ_08_04_00.1_mvl40-x86-opt_B.signed.fmw

the first one is installed without any problems, the installation is restarted but 2 does not want to

I checked all the sensors myself to check them gives that everything is OK ram hard everything gives that it is ok

I don't know what it could be, but the problem remains

otherwise, if I tried to play a demo drawing from the control panel, it also cuts it, even when I let it check my heads and when I go to check them, I cut it again before removing if there are clogged nozzles on any head. I decided to try to remove the knife so as not to cut the drawing as there is no knife then he just doesn't cut, he just puts the paper back and winds it on the roll and writes that there is no loaded paper and he wants to load it again that you load the paper for him and when you let him print and he removes it himself and says that there is no paper, isn't it a software bug

HP Recommended

My results with the firmware attempt to load were the same as yours.  Loaded the smaller file first and it worked fine but the second, larger file was called invalid and refused to load.  Tried at least 7 times on three different computers using both wired and non-wired ethernet connections.

On the cutting issue you're having, I wonder if you might have a bad/intermittent paper-present sensor.  

Sure would like to get someone to make the firmware update issue work though.  Has anyone had success in updating their firmware on either the T770 or T1200?  (I have the exact same problem with my T1200.)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.