Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP Designjet 510
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

Slight big of background on me: I've recently become a technician for the USPS, and the one part of the job I'm still learning how to handle (Ok, there's a lot of those, but only one is pertinent here) is the large number of old plotter printers we have at our facilities that need to be repaired or have maintenance performed on them. I've asked a few questions around here about these devices before (You guys are the best! Thank you!) and now I have one relatively short, hopefully quick question.

One of the devices I've been assigned to work on at the moment is an HP Designjet 510 Plotter Printer that's giving us a "System Error 05:10" fuss. I did research online about this, and learned it's usually a Formatter or HPGL/2 card failure, or just an error with that part.

I investigated the printer in question, and found what I'm 99% sure is the problem: The printer I was asked to fix is missing the Formatter entirely! The slot's empty, right next to a filled network spot on the device. My best guess is in the past, some other technician pulled it to fix another device, but until I fill that slot I can't even begin to tell if this device is otherwise in working order or not.

Today, we recently got in two old HP Designjet 500 Plotter printers that we are going to scrap for parts, and then recycle once we've no longer got anything useful we can take from them. My question is this:

Can I use the formatter card from a Designjet 500 Printer in a Designjet 510 model? They're in the same series, but some quick google searches show they seem to have different part numbers.

- The Designjet 510 seems to have one numbered CH336-67001

- The Designjet 500 seems to have one numbered C7772A

Now I could very easily be wrong. I'm by no means an expert on either of these devices and the info I put above is just what I found after 20 minutes using Google to search for part info. So I want to know: Can I use the formatter board from the 500 in the 510, or is this a mistake?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

This is the type of question where the answer is never known until someone tries it. It may or may not work but I doubt you would get anyone at HP to commit to answering. Likely a mismatch will occur as the older formatter would missing components to support the newer printer. Personally I would be tempted to try, but I take no responsibility for the results of my opinion.  Post back if you try and share your results.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

According to HP C7772A is discontinued has been replaced with CH336-67001, but the only way to know is to try and give us the result.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

"Can I use the formatter board from the 500 in the 510, or is this a mistake?"

No.

They are physically different parts and are not interchangeable.

Also, the 510 model has three different part numbers. As is HPs practice, each part  number represents a different lot number.

They all are the same part.

Available at designjetpartsfast*com

I was an HP Customer Engineer from 1995-2002.
During this time, I serviced contract and warranty calls within the Northern Indiana area. When I left HP, I took my HP Designjet service experience and started my own business servicing out of contract plotters. Designjetpartsfast.com was launched in 2009. With over 20 years Designjet experience, I can help you resolve issues you are experiencing with your Designjet Printer.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.