Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended

Hello,

I work in a small print lab at my school and we currently have two HP Designjet T1500's. We have been dealing with this super annoying error 39.1:01, where the printer randomly unloads rolls. It usually happens while it's on standby. Both printers do this and it happens to both rolls. Everything I look up about this error just says the only thing to do is reload it. Well obviously that is a short term fix, but it is time consuming with how often this occurs. So we can solve the issue for good, can anyone help us figure out why this is happening in the first place? 

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

I had a similar problem.  After removing the covers and poking around, I found a small geared motor in the rear stacker that was not completely engaged.  There was about 1/16" slop between the drive gear and the receiving gear.  The motor was constantly trying to "home" itself, but couldn't and it was forever ticking back-and-forth.  After some period of time (days/weeks) something would cause the motor to give up and error out (39.1:01) which I discovered was a "Roll 1 Switch Failure".  This unloaded the roll.

I temporarily "fixed" the problem by using ONLY roll two, but this was unsatisfactory over the long run.  Eventually, I wedged a small paper clip (not the wire kind, but the "jaws" kind) into the shaft that the receiving gear was attached to, making sure to allow the shaft and gear to freely turn.  I reloaded roll 1 and it has been working without any problem for some time.

I can't find anything on this gear/motor or what it does, not even in the service manuals.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Is there a way to reset it to factory settings? Did this happen immediately after the school had purchased them?

I would try resetting it to factory settings, maybe an update has caused it to malfunction? How often is its firmware and software checked for updates? Is it with a specific type of substrate? Is a sensor dirty? 

Spoiler

The only other option is to let your school know they should switch to a different brand of printer all together. 

HP sucks.

HP Recommended

We bought them last semester and they didn't start doing this until the end of last semester. But it wasn't as often as it is now. We update fairly often and they are up to date with the latest firmware as of now. I can suggest to reset them to factory settings. We do also clean the sensors regularly.

HP Recommended

I am not sure if you will find the answer to this problem on this site or not, as I've heard of this problem but never have heard the exact cause.  Besides doing all service sensor calibrations it almost sounds like a software bug that will need to be addresses in a firmware update.

If your plotters are less than a year old you can call HP directly and although their first level of desk help will probably read fixes out of a manual, being persistent should lead to a fix.  HP may also know what this problem is and hasn't announced it yet.  If there is a problem that can't be resolved with phone support they will dispatch a technician to repair it under warranty.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I had a similar problem.  After removing the covers and poking around, I found a small geared motor in the rear stacker that was not completely engaged.  There was about 1/16" slop between the drive gear and the receiving gear.  The motor was constantly trying to "home" itself, but couldn't and it was forever ticking back-and-forth.  After some period of time (days/weeks) something would cause the motor to give up and error out (39.1:01) which I discovered was a "Roll 1 Switch Failure".  This unloaded the roll.

I temporarily "fixed" the problem by using ONLY roll two, but this was unsatisfactory over the long run.  Eventually, I wedged a small paper clip (not the wire kind, but the "jaws" kind) into the shaft that the receiving gear was attached to, making sure to allow the shaft and gear to freely turn.  I reloaded roll 1 and it has been working without any problem for some time.

I can't find anything on this gear/motor or what it does, not even in the service manuals.

HP Recommended

This was pretty helpful! Thank you for the response!

HP Recommended

I have heard that this is a "known issue". If so, has the issue been properly addressed by HP? What is the fix for the issue?

(We have 2 T-1500 plotters, and both plotters have a tendency for one of the rolls, usually the lower one, to unload ... seemingly when the plotters go into standby/sleep mode.)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.