Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP DesignJet Z5400 44-in PostScript Printer
macOS 12.0 Monterey

I bought a gently-used HP Designjet Z5400 but upon taking it home and attempting to print, I'm having an issue - despite the rolls of paper being loaded correctly (followed the manual set up instructions as well as display instructions to a T) the printer is not detecting/grabbing/feeding either rolls of paper or sheets. It seems like a sensor issue, but I could be mistaken.

Troubleshooting I've already attempted:

1. Load Roll 1 and Roll 2 using display instructions - Display menu stays at "Feed paper from roll 1" though I've already done that. Paper cannot be fed in any further without lifting blue lever (which doing so cancels loading and requests you remove the paper)

2. Loading a sheet using display instructions - Similar results: Display menu says "Place sheet in input tray" though I've already done that.
1. Turning it off an on again - same issue

2. Ensuring firmware is up to date - it says it is

3. Restoring factory settings - no change

4. Ensuring paper is loaded on the roll properly - it is.

5. Ensure printer is not pressed up against wall - it's not.

I'm running out of ideas. Set up instructions say once you feed the roll into the printer should grab/feed, measure paper, and check alignment. It does none of these things. Help??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Could be a failed oops. (out of paper sensor). This sensor is in the feed path and located on right side of the paper path. You can likely find a service manual online for this printer and that will give you some great troubleshooting tips.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Could be a failed oops. (out of paper sensor). This sensor is in the feed path and located on right side of the paper path. You can likely find a service manual online for this printer and that will give you some great troubleshooting tips.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

You were right! I did find the service manual online, ran a sensor test in diagnostic mode to confirm that's what was failing, and followed it's instructions on how to replace it. I got most of the way through removing parts when I saw the sensor had come unplugged (in the move apparently as it's wire is tucked up under the bottom of the printer but the cable is partially exposed). I plugged it back in and reassembled and now it's working like a charm.

Thanks for the response!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.