Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Designjet 1055cm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all, 

I recently got a secondhand designjet 1055cm for printing some poster type materials for a charity.

The seller showed me printouts showing it all working and said he thought possibly the black head might be failing as it wasn’t solid black but rest seemed ok. 
he was open in saying it hasn’t been used for a while.

I don’t want to obviously spend loads on it for a charity cause but obviously I want it to work!

it seems to be very hot and miss on printing and looking at the pipe work going up from the tanks it seems to have air in, I googled it and someone suggested doing print head recovery several times and it seems to pull the ink up but then after a while it seems to drain back down, which makes me think I might be letting air in. 
there is no sign of leaking so I’m not sure if it’s the pipes or possibility the o rings as I have seen in diagrams o rings for sealing the head to the carriage/pipe work.

What is the best way to find my issue?

The printer says

black- monitor

cyan- monitor 

yellow- ok

magenta - monitor 

where should I start?

thanks

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Air in the tubes...

there is a Universal Designjet Ink Tube Priming Tool available online 

easy to use.

HP Recommended

My concern is why/ how the air is there!  Does it naturally happen? Is it a failing head or seal or pipe? How do I check?

thsnks

HP Recommended

Sometimes hapens if cartridges are run low

HP Recommended

Ok great, I have ordered a cleaning and priming kit. 
is it possible to replace the seals to the heads? If they were not sealing would they leak or suck air in? I’m assuming the seals are in the carrier not the print heads?

thanks

HP Recommended

This is a very old wide format printer.  I have seen many of these donated to charities or purchased by individuals.  This printer model series has a history of printhead errors, faded print, or ink errors.  Most of these printers are sold "As Is" and you cannot return them.  In the past, I have worked on the 1055 many times.  My opinion, you are going to spend a lot of time and money on this printer with little benefit.  Parts are limited.  You would need to be an experienced 1055 tech to have a chance to be successful.  See if you can get your money back.

HP Recommended

Oh no 😞

i won’t get my money back but the seller did show me a printed out page showing it all working, surely worse case it’s print heads and new pipes?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.