Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
DesignJet 800PS
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

In trying to troubleshoot a printhead problem, I ran the prime tubing utility.  It now asks that I install the setup printheads. The printer is 10 years old and I do not have the original printheads.

How do I cancel out of the procedure?  Pressing cancel or any other buttons will not exit the procedure.  It gets to a point where it either gives me a 79:04 error or tells me to contact HP.

If I just unplug the printer, it remembers that it was in the procedure and starts it all over again.

I just want to cancel the loop it seems to be in.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

A trick that works most of the time is to place scotch tape over the contacts on the back side of each printhead and put back in the printer. This should fool the printer to think you have inserted setup heads and it will complete the prime process. Setup heads do not have contacts.

HP Recommended

Scotch tape is good but you can just take them out. and close the lid

it quicker and less faff.

It will continue and do its thing eventually a dialog box comes up. just yes to everthing and it will then ask for heads to be put back..

Kind regards 

Peter

HP Recommended

I removed the printheads and it gave me a 02:10 error which seems to point to the carriage assembly problem.

I powered off for a few minutes and switched the printer back on.  It started the preparation for the ink system routine and then failed.  It says "Unable to prepare ink system.  Open window to check SETUP printheads."

So it seems to still be stuck in the SETUP printhead mode.  It doesn't seem to matter whether I have printheads inserted or not, it will not proceed beyond this point.

HP Recommended

Alright so now I decided to remove the printheads again and use the scotch tape over the contacts procedure.  I powered back on and now I get the following message:

"Open window and remove normal printheads to prepare ink system."

So it would appear that despite the scotch tape, it's able to tell the difference between the normal and setup printheads.

What now?

HP Recommended

Maybe two layers of scotch tape or use some black electrical tape to ensure there's no contact with the carriage and the printhead.  Cheaper than setup printheads.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.