Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP designjet t520
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am the tech guy at a middle school.  The school  purchased an HP Designjet T520 to do posters and such.  It was purchased about two years ago.  When I tried to get it running for the new school year it gives me this:

X Possible Media Jam

Possible Jam, printer cannot continue.  Remove jammed paper and review that cartridges and printhead are correctly installed. Press ok to continue.

There is no paper jam and no tiny slivers of paper at all.  I took out all the ink cartridges and the printhead carrige and I reinserted them.  I have tried hard resetting it by holding the power for 15 secords and going through the menu.  No matter what I try it still gives me that message.  

Any suggestions... help!!!!!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I am having the same issue with my Designjet T520. There is no paper jam and yet it is still giving me the error. 

Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

Hi

Please process the below info:

- Clean the encoder strip with a lint free cloth damp with water

- Make sure carriage belt is ok.

- Make sure the roll is loaded correctly on the spindle

- Make sure the spindle is installed correctly

- Measure the paper and make sure is a supported size

- You just clean the media detectors sensor which is stay with carriage unit. If problem will not solve please update the latest firmware.

Hope my suggestion is helpful.

Although I am HP Employee
I am speaking for myself and not for HP

Please click the Thumbs up icon below to say “Thanks” for helping! .
If my post help resolve your issue, please mark as "RESOLVED"
HP Recommended

Hi,

Beside my suggestion at above, this is the link that showed detailed and complete steps for troubleshoot action.

Possible Paper Jam Troubleshooting Steps

pls be noted that the model list for above troubleshooting manual doesn't include T520, which there may be some minor difference on part location, but you can follow the similar steps.

Hope it helps.

Although I am HP Employee
I am speaking for myself and not for HP

Please click the Thumbs up icon below to say “Thanks” for helping! .
If my post help resolve your issue, please mark as "RESOLVED"
HP Recommended

Hi,

The "X" Error is for the Carriage movement.

Remove the power cable > try to move the carriage to check if it moves freely, ( if locked on service station if may not move)

Ensure the Print head white locking lever is lowered and is not blocking the carriage path.

Genera check on the Carrige belt condition , clean the encoder strip with a damp cloth.

check if the carriage moves from the service station > moves to full width to left and then to right and the error pops up.

it could be the encoder strip or the carrige belt.

As a precaution: check for any physical obstruction to the extreme left and right of the plotter.

if the carriage is kept in the middle and powered on > check the carriage movement.

if the carriage jerks / moves for 5 - 10 mm and errors then the issue is with the carriage assy.

if the carriage moves completely - then the encoder / belt .

Hope this is helpful.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.