Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Z5400

I've been on the phone with HP Support, one of my customers has the issue described in the title of the post.

Support says this is a known issue and with Firmware version: CH_08_02_00.1, (and also existed with version 6 of the FW).

Firmware version CH_08_02_00.1 is currently available on the HP Support Page for the Z5400 so it must not affect all machines.

Support also says there will be a Firmware version released that fixes the issue, but there is not a release date yet.

You need a TPW File, from HP Support, Version 7 of the Firmware also from  HP Support, and you must disable Automatic Updates.

The fix is for HP Support to send a TPW file that will enable a Firmware downgrade, that file is put on a USB Drive with no other files and when the machines asks if you want to print it answer yes.

Be sure to disable Automatic Updates either before you do the Downgrade, or disconnect the network cable if you plan on disabling this afterwards.

Then power off the machine, plug in a USB Drive with the Firmware Downgrade file, (this should also be the only file on the drive).

If the machine still rejects some cartridges after the downgrade they will have to be replaced, HP should supply the replacements since the Firmware caused the issue.

@Mikeg81  do you have any insight on this?

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes, I have checked the date and time and they are correct.

The reason for my post is that I could not find online documentation of this issue so I put up this post for others who had the same problem.

HP Tech Support L1 informed me that this was a known issue, and they had to contact L3, (level 3), support to get the file to enable the Firmware downgrade on the machine.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi, 

have you checked printer date and time?

i have same issue in the past with T2500. Time and date was not setup accurately, After I set time and date it resolves the issue.

HP Recommended

Yes, I have checked the date and time and they are correct.

The reason for my post is that I could not find online documentation of this issue so I put up this post for others who had the same problem.

HP Tech Support L1 informed me that this was a known issue, and they had to contact L3, (level 3), support to get the file to enable the Firmware downgrade on the machine.

HP Recommended

After the firmware downgrade the printer still reported installation dates on four of the cartridges as being in 1969.

HP tech support had four replacement ink cartridges shipped and those were installed on Friday afternoon which resolved the date issue.

The machine is now up and running but unfortunately has some print quality issues which are likely due to not printing for a while and I think their printheads are probably all out of warranty.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.