Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 7740
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Issue: Printer loses connectivity to computers when it sleeps

Setup:

printer wirelessly connected to a netgear nighthawk router via a staic IP

Steps to recreate: 

1. printer is awake and connected to a computer and will scan and print

2. printer sleeps

3. printer will not wake from sleep to print when a job is sent from any computer

4. printer must be power cycled and reconnect

5. print jobs can be run after power cycled

Steps attempted to fix:

I was having trouble intermittently with this and read on the forums the wireless printers need a static IP.  I setup a static IP and am connnected to it.  Now whenever the printer sleeps, it loses the connection and will not wake when a print job is sent. 

The HP 7740 does not have an option to turn the sleep functionality off, so disabling this is impossible.

I've searched around and can't find a solution.  Any help you can provide is appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@sbramey

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Forums.

I came across your post and would like to assist. 

I understand that your HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide Format All-in-One Printer does not wake up from the sleep mode when a print job is sent. 

Fabulous diagnostics, spectacular analysis of the issue by you. Kudos to you for that. You have done a remarkable job in troubleshooting this issue. 

You're correct, there is no option to disable the sleep mode on the printer. 

Ideally, assigning a static IP address should help in maintaining the network connectivity and wake up from sleep mode when print job is sent. 

I recommend you to update the firmware on the printer by following the below steps:

The printer needs to restart after the firmware is successfully installed. This should take care of the issue. However, if the issue persists then please assign a static IP address again and check how it goes.

Hope this information helps. Keep me posted.

All the best! 

HP Recommended

Hi @MKazi

I followed the steps outlined but this printer is running the latest software and no update is available. 

I had this problem before assigning a static IP, but only intermittently.  Now it is EVERY time the printer sleeps, seeminly worse that it used to be.  

Any other options we can run?

Thanks for the help

I should say as well that my current workaround is this:

1. shut printer down
  2. boot printer back up
  3. visit static IP address (in my case http://10.x.x.xx) in my browsers address bar)
  4. when I get the virtual server for the printer then send the print job

Sometimes I have to power cycle the printer twice to get it to connect when I visit the static IP in my address bar. 

I followed all the steps outlined in this post:

HP Recommended

@sbramey

Glad to have you back.

I understand that the issue remains unresolved.

I have sent you a private message to perform a semi full reset on the printer. 

Hope this helps. Keep me posted.

Good luck! 

HP Recommended

@sbramey,

I read the post. Thanks for the update.

As @MKazi is out for the day, I am responding on his behalf. I will send you a PM to assist you further.

Take care and have a great day ahead.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am having this exact same issue with the 7740 and have looked for firmware updates but there are none. I need this to work and shouldn't have to do anything with IP address static or otherwise. How else can we get this solved?   Thanks for the help

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.