Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 series
macOS 10.12 Sierra

Hello,

I've just purchased  the HP Office Jet pro 7740 operated on macOS Sierra. I initially had a very smooth setup. No issue printing from tray 1 or scanning A4 documents and larger. 

However I've scanned a document 24cmx32cm, and I wish to print it out on 24cm/32cm paper i've loaded in Tray 2.

I've created a custom paper size  of 24cm/32cm on the Preview app and on the system preferences on my printer Ive selected a paper size of 8.5inches x 11inches for tray 2 (that was the closest formatting option that was available). 

My printer only seems to recognise Tray 1 even though its loaded with only A4 paper and I've already requested to print on my custom paper of 24cm/42cm on my computer.

I've also even locked Tray 1 on my system preferences  on the printer but it still insists on printing from Tray 1 and refuses to print my file as it is not A4... please help? 

Thanks in advance,

Dominic 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @dominic2693

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

Have you tried emptying tray 1 and then use tray 2 to print?

By default, the printer draws paper from Tray 1. If Tray 1 is empty and Tray 2 is installed and contains paper, the printer draws paper from Tray 2.

You can change the behaviors using the following features:

● Default Tray: Set the default tray from which the printer draws paper first when paper of the same size is loaded in both Tray 1 and Tray 2.

● Tray Lock: Lock a tray to prevent it from accidental use; for example, when you have loaded special paper (such as letterhead or preprinted paper). The printer will not use a locked tray even when the other tray is empty.

Kindly refer to paper handling specifications to know the supported paper size by this printer.

To know how to load papers in tray 2, refer to this document.

NOTE: Tray 2 supports only plain paper A4 or Letter-size and larger. Do not load paper while the printer is printing.

If you are trying to print on a custom size paper, click here to know how to create one on your MAC.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.