Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended

Well.... I tried to clean the printhead by placing them in shallow hot water (coffee hot).  I was able to get all the heads to bleed ink which I though was good.  When I reseated them I'm still getting the Printhead Replacement Incomplete and the carriage returns to the replacement position.  

There's been some talk about reseating the ribbons or the ribbon cables are bad.  I'm not sure this is the case because the printer seems to recognize the heads.  For example:  If I remove all the heads, let it cycle, and place each one in place one at a time it shows every head being replaced as they are seated.  When I remove one, it shows every time that head has been removed until I reseat.  Still when I close the carriage, it starts all over again..  I have not yet tried to remove all the consumables and rebot as noted in one of the posts.  

Although I'd like to get this going soon, it's not pressing.  With that said I think I'll start by purchasing a couple of heads and see if I can get a consistent reading with the new heads.  Right now, at one point or another, it will tell me to replace every head.  They are never all highlighted at once.  Sometimes it will highlight 1 head, then 4, then maybe 2, each time it usually a different set of heads.  

I also purchased a head cleaner as noted by another response.  Guess I'll try that once it arrives.  I appreciate everyone's help.  I'm determined to get this thing running..

Thanks again and all ideas are usefull.

Mike

HP Recommended

I was resently told that if the warranty date on the printhead has expired, this printer will not run and I will not be able to get out of the "printhead replacement incomplete" stage until a new printhead has been installed.  I was also told this is the same for the ink cartridges.  Each printhead had a chip that the printer reads.

I have a feeling I'm spinning my wheels.  This person also told me not to mess with aftermarket head as they often time do not work or the printer does not read them correctly.

Does anyone know this to be true?

HP Recommended

The 4500PS I recently got working needed all new printheads.  If I recall correctly, all the printheads except one were expired.  The cartridges were also expired.  I had no problem with any of them.  But that's just my experience.  Also, just finished reassembling a 6100PS.  Most of the supplies on that machine are also expired.  It gives a message on the panel but won't stop the machine from accepting the printheads or ink.  I had to take all the printheads out to change the belt and it took them all when reassembling the carriage with no problem.

Since your printheads are suspect, maybe buy one that is not expired and try that one and see if you have the same issue.  But I'm pretty sure the expiration dates won't effect the insertion or the operation of the printer.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended

Thanks!!  Great info..  

HP Recommended
Were you ever able to get the printer fixed? I’m working on one now with the same exact problem. I’ve also updated the firmware and cleaned everything.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.