Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about cartridges, Click here to check it out!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended

Does anyone have a recommendation for a fast reasonable fairly new HP Designjet Scanner 36-42"?

I got a T1100 MFP scanner (of course about identical to the 4500) to a guy, and he has been using it and says "It's not fast enough."  He wants to trade up ASAP.

But he's trying to scan some old 18x24 card stock posters at 1200dpi in TIF format and I guess photo quality.  (Why 1200dpi? I do not really know why.  I think he is being unrealistic.  That I THINK is even going to take a new fast scanner probably 2-5 minutes, I bet.  Really, I'm not sure.)

I think 300dpi would be good enough.  But he will not listen to me.  All the testing I did on the T1100 scanner was based on a middle ground of 600dpi.  I could not get it to do much faster than 1 1/2 minutes per scan of about a 18x24 poster.  I think I told him 1 min. 15 sec.; I miscalculated--it took 12 minutes to scan 8 posters.  So it was 1 1/2 minutes per scan.

Does anyone have any ideas for a faster fairly new scanner?

The only other type scanner I have messed with is the 42" SD Pro Scanner which seemed pretty good.  But again I think at 1200dpi it is going to take God forever to scan his posters.  He is concerned about having to pay someone $15 an hour to scan these thousands of card stock posters.

Thanks for any input.

Guess I need to get away from the legacy scanners to some degree, but they are kind of interesting.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I agree with you, 1200 maybe unreasonable, what is the final destination, print or display? I am not sure very many scanners will be that much faster unless he goes to a CCD scanner and sacrifices quality. I would check out Epson or Fujitsu to see what products they have. If you don't need the 44 width, you may find a better product more suited to the media you are scanning.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.