Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP Designjet 500 42 inch
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I download the driver software            

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Designjet-500-Printer-series/25301/model/1834668

Follow the instructions

unzip the file

run the file 

then I get an error message 'Error 2 running command "C:\Program'

Can I get some help with what I'm doing wrong please, Thank you.

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Try the driver at the link below. It is for windows 8 but should work with 10.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=pl_117477_1

HP Recommended

Hello, everybody.

I'm reopening this thread because today I had a problem with this plotter in windows 10 64 and I found the solution, both for the driver installation and for Autocad to detect the plotter correctly, because with other HP drivers installed the plotter could print certain types of files such as PDF or JPG, but could not print from AutoCad.

The solution is to install this driver offered by the Autocad website: HP DesignJet 500 PCL Driver (v8.10).zip

The important thing is that the driver is 8.10, since Autocad does not work with higher versions.

I hope it helps, a greeting.

HP Recommended

I decided to set up an account here to say how grateful I am to You Saulxx, for your help. Autocad drivers work great for everything else !  THANK YOU !

HP Recommended

I know the full workaround now for this terrible bit of support from HP. After calling them and being told to buy a new plotter instead of how to use my perfectly functioning plotter, I called a local company who were able to walk me through it simply.

Download the driver that Saulx above me recommended - the one with the PCL driver

copy all of the files inside to your system32 folder

add the printer again to the point where you select 'Have disk..'

select the dsg file from the system32 folder

Hey presto, you have a working machine that you paid lots of money for, avoiding having to pay out of your nose and accepting HP's goal of planned obsolence. 

HP this is ridiculous. I was told support was unavailble since 2015.... Windows 10 was out in 2015

HP Recommended

Thank you very much!  Working in Windows 10, I was not able to get any of the drivers to work (Windows 7, 8, or 10).  I installed this version from AutoCad and it worked right away.

HP Recommended

Now, suddenly, in the middle of a job, my Designjet 500 printing process decided to get goofy. I uninstalled it and attempted to reinstall on my up todate Win 10/64 machine. I tried using the HP drivers I already had (and have worked OK) but by following the options that Win provided, I couldn't get it to recognize any files in the HP 500 folder.

Following the advice in this forum I got the  8.10 version from Autocad but I still can't get WIN to recognize anything.

I'm kind of stuck, with no obvious ideas. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'll still keep trying though.

HP Recommended

Oh heck yea. Finally a solution.

Worked on my 2006 Designjet 800

Thank you Saulxx and Qwertui69!

HP Recommended

THANK YOU SAULXX!!!! And yes, I am yelling that Thank You!

I don't know how many hours I've spent trying to find the right driver to get my plotter working on a new computer. Now I'm in business. And wish I had time to go back to all the forums with the incorrect solution and post this one.

You made my weekend. Thank You!

HP Recommended

CAnnot find the driver file when i unzip  HP DesignJet 500 PCL Driver (v8.10).zip . I need to install an HP 500 Designjet 500 on Windows 10

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.