Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP Z3200/Macbook Pro
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I have a well used Z3200, its been printing fine for about 2 months (since purchased 2nd hand) - Besides a few head cleans, nothing to complain about.  Then, recently as I started to produce larger format jobs (>40 inches) it produces a pair of thin lines randomly on a print job.  Looking in detail its a line of the black and red print head - repeated over the job.
I tried a few different things, but decided to change the printhead on MK and R - got one off ebay unopened and its in and working.  But 15 mins into a large print job and it the problem returned.   

I have cleaned heads, reset ink cartridges, changed the MK and R print head, I have changed driver quailties, speeds, print job DPI/size and countless other things.  I'm now thinking  its due to the ink getting low (35ml on MK and 55ml on R) but also that it is related to either the width of a job or maybe the total amount of ink printed?  It also appears to happen when brown/red images are printed.  They are also vertical so its not hitting the media ( it does it on Canvas and Vinyl) and they are always in pairs so the MK and R cartridge fires both heads randomly. I also think they are only produced on the return pass.

I'd love to hear anyones feedback on this so that I can continue printing.   I appreciate any comments or help you may have.

Thanks in anticipation

Richard

Photos https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wtdnejwv2ot6y9u/AADOQVTX0rI75yfnSmWkRFbqa?dl=0

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi All,

I've solved it.  Firstly can I thank Tim Wert at LPS Computers for his amazing help and experience in helping me fix this printer problem.  To cut a long story short, Tim went straight for a trailing cable connection issue causing a print head to misfire randomly on a wider print job.

I stripped the printer down (a lot) and basically followed Bob Werts Belt replacement video.  Once there I took the trailing cables off the PCA and the (other end), cleaned, reseated them and began to rebuild.  

Then I saw the state of the belt (dropping rubber bits on my print jobs, it was stripped and I was only 1 step away from changing it).   LPS sent me a belt, oil and a new carriage bush (3 days DHL !) to the UK.   I've just installed it all, ran the tests and its PERFECT.

I cant recommend them enough

RIchard

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Screenshot 2020-09-01 at 18.58.20.pngScreenshot 2020-09-01 at 18.58.15.png

HP Recommended

Strongly suggest you download the Z3200 service manual. [Content removed]

On page 1-52 it says:

Vertical lines of different colors

The print has vertical bands of different colors along it.

Corrective Action

Try using a heavier paper type. When printing dense colors, it is recommended to use HP Heavyweight Coated Paper HP Super, Heavyweight Coated Paper or thicker Digital Fine Art papers.

Use higher print quality settings (refer to the User’s Guide for more information).

If you have already set it to Quality, try selecting Custom Options and then More Passes

If that doesn't work: My go-to resource is Bob Wert at LPS Computer Services in California at [Content removed]. I do not think there is a more knowledgable guy on the planet when it comes to unusual DesignJet issues. Free advice is part of his business model.   I have no affiliation: I'm just a satisfied customer with 2 cantankerous Z3200s. 

HP Recommended

Hi Kspl,

thank you for replying, I do have the service manual (planning a belt change in a month or two!) and I'd read the sections on print issues.  I will retry the help given in the sections you have identified, thank you.

I will also see if I can email Bob with the hope he can also shed some light on this.

I've been lucky so far, 2nd hand well used 3200 and I've already changed the aerosol fan (nice and easy) but have bits of black on the print jobs occasionally from the belt!   Once I resolve the print issue I'll be straight onto fitting that belt! (funnily enough I've been watching Bobs video on replacing it already!)

Many thanks for your reply - appreciate it

Richard

HP Recommended

I've found he's more responsive if you call him rather than use email.

I've got Bob's private-brand belts in both my printers. I find that they're a superior product than OEM.  

HP Recommended

Hi All,

I've solved it.  Firstly can I thank Tim Wert at LPS Computers for his amazing help and experience in helping me fix this printer problem.  To cut a long story short, Tim went straight for a trailing cable connection issue causing a print head to misfire randomly on a wider print job.

I stripped the printer down (a lot) and basically followed Bob Werts Belt replacement video.  Once there I took the trailing cables off the PCA and the (other end), cleaned, reseated them and began to rebuild.  

Then I saw the state of the belt (dropping rubber bits on my print jobs, it was stripped and I was only 1 step away from changing it).   LPS sent me a belt, oil and a new carriage bush (3 days DHL !) to the UK.   I've just installed it all, ran the tests and its PERFECT.

I cant recommend them enough

RIchard

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.