Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Designjet Z6200

Re-opening an archived post from 2016

Z6200 Error 81:01, Possible paper jam

Designjet Z6200

I Have a Z6200 printer keeps getting a 81:01, Possible paper Jam, error.  I tell it to print, It will print the entire image, then just before cutting, it gets a 81:01 error.  I check the paper each time, and there is no jam.  I've tried running the paper drive diagnostic test multiple times, some times that seemed to help, some times it didn't. Some times the problem goes away on it's own.  Any suggestions on what the problem is?

I am having the same issue as above. I have also run multiple Paper Drive Tests. I have calibrated the Rewinder. I have run a Paper Advance Calibration and completed a OMAS calibration. Whenever running internal diagnostic tests (PH alignment, paper advance, etc.) everything passes, prints and cuts fine. As soon as I send a job that goes through the print queue (demo print, client print, service info) this error occurs. 

I also noticed that there is a slightly odd advance right before the printer is supposed to cut the job.  It kind of looks like the media slips a bit and doesn't advance to the correct location for the cut and that's when the error occurs (Cutter has been engaged and carriage ready to return to the platen)

Please, please tell me someone has a solution for this.

I am assuming at this point that I will likely have to replace some parts.

Roy K

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

UPDATE: SOLVED 

Replaced the Rewinder + Gear assy. today.

Ran the Rewinder Claibration several times until the 2 numbers you get at the end showed some sort of consistency.

Ran several test prints and all worked.

Thanks for the feedback.

Roy K.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

A lot of things and not good each of them:

bad OMAS

Drive Motor or the Main PCA..

If other info comes up I will share 🙂

HP Recommended

UPDATE: Still not solved,

Had some Feedback from HP Tech Support suggesting the OMAS and then Cleaning the Encoder Strip + Sensor plus cleaning the Line Sensor.

Here is what I have done since the Error was first brought to my attention by my client.

Replaced Media Drive Motor, Encoder Disk + Sensor, Encoder Strip + Sensor, Line Sensor, Gear Kit + Roller Brake.

Check Diagnostics for Paper Drive, San Axis - always passes

Run Advance Calibration, Line Sensor Calibration, PH alignment many times.

Successfully Calibrate the OMAS a couple of times

Tried disabling the cutter, even removing the cutter.

The Error is still occurring - Happens ONLY when the job has completed and just as it wants to Eject (either by cutting or just advancing the media at the end of the job)

The error does not occur all the time when running internal calibrations (1st one will work, any following will not work)

Totally lost at what else to try.

Roy K

HP Recommended

sounds like not enough (or wrong) power from printmech pca, cable connection or problematic element (capacitor for instance) on board...

HP Recommended

Try the rewinder calibration again.  Had the same problem on 2 printers when using 2" cores.  Our theory was the rewinder was pulling too hard because it had more leverage when the paper was nearing the end of roll.  A rewinder calibration fixed the problem. Make sure the pinch rollers and paper drive roller are clean and providing enough pinching force.  As a test, If you unwind some paper before it trys to cut, the rewinder will stop pulling on the paper.

HP Recommended

UPDATE: SOLVED 

Replaced the Rewinder + Gear assy. today.

Ran the Rewinder Claibration several times until the 2 numbers you get at the end showed some sort of consistency.

Ran several test prints and all worked.

Thanks for the feedback.

Roy K.

HP Recommended

The Error returned.

After more troubleshooting with the client it would appear that the error happens on the rolls when they are reduced to approximately 25% - 30% remaining (using a 100ft roll, works fine then error occurs when 30ft or less remains)

So, back to the drawing board.

Any suggestions please.

Roy K 

HP Recommended

I had it start happening on a 3rd printer.  I'd run the calibrate rewinder, which would fix it for a while, then it would come back.  I cleaned the rollers, both the main roller and the little white rollers,  with a rubber cleaner, sprayway rubber cleaner and rejuvenator, and that seems to have fixed it.  There's a turn roller option in the service menu to make it easier to clean the rollers.

HP Recommended

If you need to clean the rollers, I had good success trying a  couple different products on a twin roll 4500.

Used this to clean the lower drawer roller:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008O9X3KS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also tried this will less success:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00363M0TC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tried the spray first and it worked ok for a day or so.  Then I used the stuff in the bottle.  Applied with a towel (wear gloves) and did two applications.  So far no reoccurance.  The 4500 lower roll has to push the paper about 18-24" before it gets to the platten roller so slippage can happen easily, especially with the age of this printer.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended

Have you tried completely disabling the rewinder and loading the paper without it and run a few test prints?  I know it's a little harder to load that way but at least it would take the rewinder completely out of the equation.

Also, what kind of paper is the client using when this problem happens?  Does it happen with all types of paper and paper widths?

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.